Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Mar 27, 2018 @ 12:53
    Bobi

How to get Umbraco notifications working

Hi,

Is there a guide on getting Umbraco notifications working?

Also, if you are using Umbraco forms, does it automatically notify the backend admin of new submissions, or do you have to get the Umbraco notifications working first?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 27, 2018 @ 14:48
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Bobi,

To get Umbraco notifications workin you will need to make 2 steps.

First step is to add an valid email in the UmbracoSettings.config file which you can find in the /config folder at your file system for your Umbraco installation.

See - https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/config/umbracosettings/#notifications

Next step is to use a SMTP server to send the emails out from Umbraco. What you need is go to the web.config file and add the SMTP settings like this https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Reference/Config/webconfig/#smtp-settings

If you don´t have a SMTP server yourself you can use services like:

• Sparkpost - simple to setup and developer-friendly
    • SendGrid - very simple and easy to setup
    • MailGun - mainly for developers, as it is a bit more on the technical side

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Mar 27, 2018 @ 15:13
    Bobi

Thanks. For step 2, what is the 'go-to industry standard' for security, etc.: to make your own smtp server or use one of the services?

Mar 27, 2018 @ 15:18
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Bobi,

I can only tell you what we do in Umbraco HQ and what I am seen. We are using a SMTP service for sending out our emails in Umbraco HQ.

I know many other that uses Umbraco CMS are doing the same. It can be that you can use the SMTP server that the hosting company have where you are hosting your Umbraco CMS solution.

/Dennis

Mar 27, 2018 @ 15:28
    Bobi

Thanks Dennis! So to clarify, you are seeing that most users and you guys at HQ are using a third party SMTP service?

Mar 27, 2018 @ 15:35
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Bobi,

Yes we are using a third party SMTP service in Umbraco HQ, and If you are using Umbraco Cloud for example you will also need to use a SMTP service.

Every site I have made in Umbraco CMS, I have been using a SMTP service, one of the good things about doing this you don´t need to think of updates etc.

/Dennis

• Jonas 123 posts 206 karma points
    Sep 10, 2019 @ 08:47
    Jonas

Trying to wrap my head around Notifications for Umbraco 8, where is it? (Not my head, but Notifications).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft