Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tessa 20 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 03, 2018 @ 19:53
    Tessa

App pool keeps stopping and I need help debugging <3

Hello! I am a website developer that came from frontend development and learning the rest and I know just about nothing when it comes to servers and databases. At this point, I'm so frustrated, I don't even know where to go to post my questions so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Bascially, every couple of days, my Umbraco website goes down between 2-3am EST when I'm sleeping with a 503 error. I know this from monitoring it at UpTimeRobot.com.

I've contacted my host provider and they are pretty much useless when it comes to debugging the issue, so I log into plesk and "recycle the app pool" (I put that in quotes because I don't know what it means but maybe you do) and that gets the site back up.

Rinse and repeat every few nights.

Now my question is this... how do I find out what's causing it to crash? Where do I even start to look for the log files?

I found some under /App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.{server name here}.txt but I don't know what to look for in that file.

I've also found some interesting log files in my site root (outside of the public folder) under /logs/iis/{some string of numbers that differentiates my sites and subdomains}/u_extend{index number}.log, but again, I've no idea what to look for.

What information can I provide you to help me debug this issue? Please and thank you so much!!

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 03, 2018 @ 20:03
    Nik

Hi Tessa,

I would start by looking in the UmbracoTraceLog,{server name here}.txt file that has a date stamp that matches the most recent date of the issue. In there I would be looking for any lines that contain the word "ERROR".

If you find any of those, it could be worth copying and pasting the error (possibly include the log entry before and the log entry after for completeness) to this thread to see if we can help you debug the problem. Make sure to check the entry for any sensitive information you might want to remove, there shouldn't be but just incase.

Nik

Apr 03, 2018 @ 21:18
    Tessa

Thanks for responding! In the entire log for today, there are only two instances where it says "ERROR", but neither are around the time it crashed.

The first one was at 02:02:28,314 and the other at 14:36:54,942, and the crash was at 02:06:17,845. I say the first one seems unrelated because there's a lot of lines that make it appear like normal operations between the two, but I could be wrong. Here is the log I captured earlier today and tossed it in to my Google Drive. I'm not 100% sure if there is anything sensitive in there that I should remove, so please let me know if I should replace some stuff with fake stuff for privacy purposes.

It looks like the crash occurred at 02:06:17,845 (line 4054 of that txt document) since the time jumps from hour 2 to hour 14 (about 12 hours when I decided to log in and recycle the app pool).

Here's the snippet of around that time. I'm not sure what's relevant, so please refer to the linked document above for more.

2018-04-03 02:05:47,830 [P432212/D2/T11] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.BackgroundTaskRunner - [KeepAlive] Tasks completed, terminated
     2018-04-03 02:05:47,830 [P432212/D2/T11] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.BackgroundTaskRunner - [ScheduledPublishing] Tasks completed, terminated
     2018-04-03 02:05:47,830 [P432212/D2/T23] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.BackgroundTaskRunner - [Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.IBackgroundTask] Tasks completed, terminated
     2018-04-03 02:06:17,845 [P432212/D2/T20] INFO  Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - Application shutdown. Details: HostingEnvironment

_shutDownMessage=HostingEnvironment initiated shutdown
    HostingEnvironment caused shutdown

_shutDownStack=   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand()
       at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.StopProcessing()
     2018-04-03 14:36:24,098 [P36348/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager - Umbraco 7.5.6 application starting on THEMARS
     2018-04-03 14:36:24,176 [P36348/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Determining hash of code files on disk

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 03, 2018 @ 22:22
    Nik

Hi Tessa,

Okay, so the first thing I notice is that you are getting quite a few Application shutdown triggers, like the one you posted in your response. Now, IIS can stop allowing apps to restart after a certain number of these so it might be possible that you are hitting that. So that is a possibility.

I also notice that you are running version 7.5.6.

If it was me, I would, if possible, look to upgrade to at least the latest 7.9 version (I'd not go to version 7.10 just yet but if 7.10.1 comes out before you get to upgrade I'd probably look to go to that version).

Nothing jumps out as obvious from my quick look over the log file so it could be something else causing the issue.

Nik

Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:32
    Tessa

Thanks, I'll see about upgrading my local version in Visual Studio first and then pushing that out in the next few days.

Below is a screenshot of the IIS Application Pool settings in Plesk. I don't think I can edit any of them though from this screen. Though it's also in this screen where I click on "Recycle" when it's down to bring it back up. The only thing that is editable on this page is the "Managed pipeline mode" and the only two dropdown options are "Integrated" and "Classic". I suppose all of these settings are normal?

Screenshot of IIS Application Pool

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft