Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tor Langlo 189 posts 532 karma points
    Apr 07, 2018 @ 22:40
    Tor Langlo

Nested content lost after changing document type name

I changed the name and alias of a document type which was referenced in the "Doc Types" of a nested content data type. And boom, without any warnings (or me noticing it), I lost the content of the nested data in the target doc type.

Seems to be a severe issue to me, is this a known problem?

Shouldn't the "Doc Types" link to the used doc type(s) by UDI instead of alias?

Not good! It would be nice if it at least gave me a warning before allowing me to save the changes.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 09, 2018 @ 05:57
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Tor,

This is not related to Nested Content only. If you change the alias of a doctype you will loose content also.

Dave

• Tor Langlo 189 posts 532 karma points
    Apr 09, 2018 @ 15:47
    Tor Langlo

Hi Dave,

I just changed the doc type alias of an "About" page and didn't lose the page. I also tried changing a property alias on a page and didn't lose the data on the page using that doc and property type. I understand that UDIs are a fairly new feature in Umbraco, and that maybe it's work in progress to transition from dependencies on aliases to UDIs?

My thinking is that there's an improvement to be made in Umbraco in making it "safer" to use. Umbraco has a steep learning curve and anything we could do to help out developers and content editors would be steps forward.

So specifically, what is the "meaning" of the lock icon on doc type and property aliases. What are the consequences of changing them? The answer should be there right in the backoffice UI.

Umbraco is open source and it's up to us developers to make these improvements. Hopefully I'll build my Umbraco expertise and find some time to contribute as well. Soon...

-Tor

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Apr 09, 2018 @ 16:55
    Amir Khan

Hey Tor, you should be able to change a doctype alias without losing content. I have however had to republish the entire site for the content to be restored before. You can do that by clicking on the top most item in the content tree called "Content" and clicking republish the entire site.

I don't have a ton of experience with nested content but have experienced this with other datatypes before.

-Amir

• Mohammad 4 posts 113 karma points
    Apr 09, 2018 @ 20:49
    Mohammad

Hi,

I have faced this issue once, just change referenced document type alias.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft