Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Grainne 12 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 12, 2018 @ 12:18
    Grainne

Move Umbraco Site to Visual Studio

Hi,

I am looking for some guidance on how to move an Umbraco site that is currently being updated and developed using the back office to visual studio to allow me to make changes to the site simpler and allow me to have versions of the site.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated or even just a point in the right direction.

Currently on Umbraco v7.1

Thanks,

• Paul Tilsed 26 posts 179 karma points c-trib
    Apr 12, 2018 @ 14:34
    Paul Tilsed

Hi Grainne,

The first place I would start would likely be creating an empty ASP.NET Web Application project in Visual Studio. Once you have that you can install Umbraco via Nuget.

Next you should make a list of the packages you currently have installed and see if any of them can be installed from Nuget, you can then install them now and it makes it easier to keep those up to date. For those that are not available you will need to manually migrate them making sure they are still supported.

Next copy over the Views and Media folders from your current site, if you have any custom folders for CSS or Scripts ect then they will need to be migrated as well remembering to include any Usercontrols or XSLT files if they are used.

You will need to update the web.config with your connection string and also make sure the version number is matched up with your current version. This makes sure when you start up Umbraco it will take you through the upgrade wizard and not try to install a new site.

You might have more customization which you need to manually merge but as I don't know the full set up of your site I'll leave that with you to scope out.

As this is an upgrade you should still read the upgrade guides since there are some key changes between 7.1 and 7.10. Remember to back everything!

Hope this helps,

Paul

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Apr 12, 2018 @ 19:55
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Grainne

To extend the very helpful information Paul has provided, personally I would favour installing the same Umbraco version via Nuget in Visual Studio. Keeping like for like in the early stages.

Once all bedded into Visual Studio and building / site running, then I think it would be a better time to upgrade Umbraco.

Just my 2 cents worth :-)

Cheers, Nigel

• Grainne 12 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 13, 2018 @ 11:11
    Grainne

thanks paul and nigel, i will get a good look at this and fingers crossed it is painless :-)

• Barry 15 posts 56 karma points c-trib
    Apr 13, 2018 @ 12:31
    Barry

If you just want to get this into VS so that the files are easier to work on then a simple approach is to copy the files down locally, open VS and then File->Open->Web Site and then choose your folder of the download site.

The previous solutions are better but this will get you up and running quickly. If your local environment can see the database server you can even connect directly to that, but i would only recommend that in a staging/UAT platform.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft