Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobby B. 9 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 15, 2018 @ 20:26
    Bobby B.

Workflow/Deployment Overview?

Hello all! I made an Umbraco 4 site ages ago and haven't touched it, or Umbraco, since then, so I'm getting back into the swing of things.

I'm confused on how people keep their Umbraco sites managed... I followed the tutorials and got a local setup using the Umbraco CMS NuGet package, and I was also able to successfully publish it to it's final web server.

What I'm confused on is how development as well as ongoing maintenance should be handled. I haven't seen really any tutorials or docs on it.

Basically, as I'm building a the site and adding new doc types and templates and such, should I always do that on my local installation and then push to the remote server? Because if I create it on the remote server, then my local install will never have the template file.

But once the site gets built, what if the client adds something but then also needs me to develops something new... Then development could happen on both the live server and the development machine.

Just curious how everyone is wrangling this... Any help you can provide will be helpful. Thanks much!

Bob

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Apr 16, 2018 @ 01:30
    Nathan Woulfe

Hi Bobby

The client (ideally) shouldn't have access to do anything on production other than create content - they shouldn't be building templates/doc types in production. Code changes should be local, content can be remote.

Take a copy of the production database to have access to latest content, develop against that, then push the code back to production. If you need to sync up content/config changes like new document types, have a look at Chauffeur [https://our.umbraco.org/projects/collaboration/chauffeur/]

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft