Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 91 posts -18 karma points
    Apr 26, 2018 @ 14:26
    Mark

Can anyone give me some insight into what the Variants in version 8 will be and how they will work?

Willing to bribe Umbraco team with folding money if they can let me know...

Apr 27, 2018 @ 08:10
    Mark

So there is this demo by Niels from 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFNtQd4L14

Do we know if the feature is essentially the same still? Also, when will we see version 8 released?

Anyone?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 27, 2018 @ 08:53
    Nik

Hi Mark,

At this stage there is no additional information that I'm aware of. No target release dates have been given either. We may find more information out at CodeGarden at the end of May but that isn't to say we will.

Nik

Apr 27, 2018 @ 09:34
    Mark

But Nik, enquiring minds need to know!

I will wait the 3 weeks until CG18, if there is no official news, I will resort to plan B and bribe the information out of someone...

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 27, 2018 @ 09:39
    Nik

Apparently, according to Twitter, that has been a demo at UFD18 which is going on today. So that sounds promising for more information getting released :-)

Nik

Apr 27, 2018 @ 09:44
    Mark

Great, cant wait!

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 27, 2018 @ 13:21
    Kevin Jump

Hi

As has been said it's all been secret until CodeGarden when I suspect we will get an alpha version of v8 ?

but if you look into the code : the underling properties within the v8 branch have been extended. so previously within a content item, a property had an alias, and a value : https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/dev-v7/src/Umbraco.Core/Models/Property.cs#L17

now in the v8 branch they have replace the single value with a list of PropertyValues and these property values.

property values have a Language Id and a Segment .. https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/dev-v8/src/Umbraco.Core/Models/Property.cs#L39

all the SetValue / GetValue functions have been extended to take language and segment (with default fallbacks),

So I would say variants will work like Vorto on Steroids :)

Not sure how segments will fit into this, but i suspect it's what it sounds like, creating versions of content for specific segments (and again been able to have them in multiple languages as needed).

Again I suspect full demos at CodeGarden will explain all - because building and getting the v8 branch to work seems to need super secret sauce at the moment.

Apr 27, 2018 @ 14:28
    Mark

Cheers Kevin, I trust you will be at CG18?

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 27, 2018 @ 14:45
    Kevin Jump

indeed i am - will be talking about translations stuff at some point too.

Apr 27, 2018 @ 14:51
    Mark

Oh cool, look forward to it, also, I owe you a beer or two for all the times Usync has helped me!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft