Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Gregory 82 posts 208 karma points
    May 08, 2018 @ 11:20
    David Gregory

Granular User Permission

Hello all

Just updated to 7.10.4 from 7.6.3 and am having trouble with user permissions. I have a large content tree and in 7.6.3 I was able to give users very specific access to certain nodes like this:

enter image description here

However, in 7.10.4 I can't seem to replicate this. Giving browse access to my top level lets them see everything in the tree like this:

enter image description here

I want to pick the bits they can see and edit and not show everything else like I did on 7.6.3.

Is there a way of doing this please?

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    May 08, 2018 @ 13:19
    Martin Griffiths

Hi David

I've upgraded a project recently to 7.10.x suffering the same problem, shame as I thought it was just a UI change/improvement.

It looks to me as if any expandable nodes that exist beneath your start node, must have "browse node" set as a minimum for them to be visible, otherwise they just don't appear at all.

I then had to leave all nodes visible for all users with "Audit trail" as the bare default so that no editing can happen unless explicitly set for a child node.

I also found that I could set individual children to "audit trail" only too and this would cause the items to disappear from the node. But as you can imagine this is a pretty darn laborious process if you have a number of users/groups.

Martin

May 08, 2018 @ 13:29
    Martin Griffiths

I've noticed a kind of workaround...

In the users section you can define multiple start points in the assign access area. I added multiple children (from various root nodes) and the expansion of their parent just seems to work and you cannot access any properties in their parents either.

So I'll think i'll rejig my users to use this method instead of trying to do it in a group with Granular permissions.

I hope this helps.

May 08, 2018 @ 13:34
    Martin Griffiths

I think it's fair to say the permissions are still the same but the experience has changed so much it's more a question of working out how to do it.

• David Gregory 82 posts 208 karma points
    May 08, 2018 @ 13:44
    David Gregory

Thanks, been on this for about 2hrs but I think you have pointed me in the right direction.

Seems strange that we can't do this via groups as I thought that was what the new groups thing was for.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft