Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John M. 18 posts 112 karma points
    May 25, 2018 @ 11:18
    John M.

Losing changes in document types

Hello everybody!I am new on umbraco and i have a very strange problem. My site is running Umbraco 7.10.0 and it's almost one month that I made different changes on document types and all work properly. BUT, after a while, usually 24 hours approximately i lose my changes. Is it a bug of the version??Or anything else that i need to know??? Also, just for your info, i am using Windows Server 2012, IIS 8.5 and MSSQL 2016 .

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 25, 2018 @ 13:46
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi John.

Are these changes that are lost your actual doctype configuration or in the content that is entered ?

Dave

May 25, 2018 @ 14:33
    John M.

Hey Dave and thanks for the answer. It's in the doctype configuration!I can see in the SQL table cmsProperty Type that these rows are missing. Any ideas??

May 28, 2018 @ 10:26
    John M.

In addition, i would like to inform you that those changes were well existing in my develop machine but now they are lost also there.It's maybe a problem caused by something else? A package ?? Or something else?

May 28, 2018 @ 10:27
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi John,

Do you have uSync installed ?

Dave

May 28, 2018 @ 10:51
    John M.

Yes.I have it.I use it for making the changes from develop to production and i have set it to manual sync option on its configuration.That crossed my mind too but running the import report i have no changes.I can see changes only when the rollback happens.The package's version is 4.0.5.In a last try to fix the problem, I've also upgraded my umbraco version 7.10.0 to 7.10.4 without any luck so far !

• TheCodeMan 7 posts 97 karma points
    May 28, 2018 @ 11:11
    TheCodeMan

Hello John,

I have a large doctype with 6 tabs when a admin change one of the tab names and using Usync my doctype goes "out" of sync and changes to the doctype will not be present in the database.

Have you changed a tab name you can try change it back to the name it had when it was created and try to make the change again.

You can delete the cache under App_data/umbraco.config if you dont want to wait 24 hours for a recycle.

I hope you find a solution and post it here :)

Best regards Jakob

May 28, 2018 @ 11:30
    John M.

Jacob, actually my document types are 'larger' with more than six tabs. I use compositions as well, and when I loose the data, among other stuff i still can see the composition itself, but there is no relationship with the document types. When the rollback happens, I also loose specific fields I create (simple text fields) for certain document types. To answer to your question, no I have not changed a tab name. Thanks

Best Regards John

May 28, 2018 @ 12:10
    John M.

Since both of you (TheCodeMan, Dave) had uSync as your first hint, I took a closer look at uSync configuration. Actually, I disabled everything (I mean all handlers) and limited it on manual config. I did remove umbraco.config, as Jakob suggested, and also I did some recycles of the application pool, still having my correct document types. But that was the case before also. It a works for a while, and all of a sudden after some time, usually 24 hours, without anything special in the logs, I loose all my changes. Any other ideas ?

May 28, 2018 @ 12:27
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi John,

Are you perhaps not transferring your usync files to the server ? So you have an old version there ?

As you say it happens every 24 hours, i guess that's when your application get's restarted. And usync will import the out of date files then.

Dave

May 28, 2018 @ 12:44
    John M.

Hi Dave,

yes I've tried all possible configurations for publish strategy. I usually transfer all files, everything. I'm thinking that this is not the case as this phenomenon happened to my development machine as well. (just today I found out after the weekend) My guess is that it has something to do with uSync as you suggest, but I cannot find what exactly.

Do I have to export all files, after a new installation/update, so that all files are the same?

The 24 hour frame is strange to me too, as when I recycle or even restart my site, and rebuild models, and clearing umraco.config nothing happens. As if it has to be idle for a few hours for the loss to happen.

May 28, 2018 @ 12:50
    Dave Woestenborghs

Can you post your uSync configuration ?

Dave

May 29, 2018 @ 07:09
    John M.

The problem has occured one more time.I have lost my changes. Here it's my uSync.config. uSync.config

May 29, 2018 @ 07:15
    John M.

Also, although uSync does not refer to any changes in uSync report, i have lost them.

May 29, 2018 @ 07:21
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi John

Your config looks like usync do nothing.

Maybe just to be sure the cause is uSync. Can you remove the usync dll's from the bin folder and see if the problem occurs ?

Dave

• TheCodeMan 7 posts 97 karma points
    May 29, 2018 @ 08:34
    TheCodeMan

Hi John

I am following this thread. :)

If you add a textfield to a doctype where you facing problems. Can you see the textfield in the content node?

Jakob

May 29, 2018 @ 08:49
    John M.

Yes Jakob. I can see the changes, all changes I make. But, after a while the changes are gone, and the appropriate tables in the database do not contain the new rows concerning these fields. (eg. in cmsPropertyType i have less rows).

We have created along with my colleagues some changes, in order to deliver them to the content writers to start their job. However, we're still there as we build the changes one day and the next day are missing. Great frustration.

Given your instructions (Dave) we completely removed uSync (uninstall the package, removed all folders and files(config,dlls etc)). We uploaded our latest development version along with our local database backup, and we are waiting. Crossing our fingers.

Will let you know how it goes.

May 29, 2018 @ 09:25
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi John,

Is there a possibility that you have multiple IIS websites pointing to the same database (eg. developer machine, test environment, ....)

It can be that one of them has a uSync set to auto import, but has outdated uSync files.

That would explain it as well.

Dave

May 29, 2018 @ 10:05
    John M.

Hi Dave,

it's exactly what you said. It turns out that we had set up a second IIS server, when we were thinking about load balancing-or more accurately failover-, prior going live. (behind haproxy). We left that server out of date as we changed haproxy configuration, to keep only our major server.

Following your question, we located the problem immediately, and not only that, doing a simple IIS restart on the second server we managed to reproduce the exact same problem. That's why I could see nothing to logs, but kept 'loosing data'.

So, it was the second server, that was inactive, but live, having auto uSync auto import at startup true.

Million thanks Dave.

Sorry guys for all the trouble .

May 29, 2018 @ 10:10
    Dave Woestenborghs

No problem

Glad we figured out...have to admit had the same thing happening once :-)

Dave

• Lachlann 344 posts 626 karma points
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 15:31
    Lachlann

Yup this got us too! beware phantom Azure slots! L

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft