Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter-Norbert Hrebicek 3 posts 73 karma points
    Jun 04, 2018 @ 11:20
    Peter-Norbert Hrebicek

Hey there!

I'm wondering if there is a best practices for deploying major changes from development to live versions.

At this time, every time i have bigger changes, especially data types and editors, i download the live database and use it only development machine to implement the new features. After this, i re-upload it to the live-server.

It is not a good solution because every time i have to change things, i have to lock down Umbraco access for the customer (especially annyoing if changes take me a longer time to complete).

How do you people do it? Any hints on how to do it professionally?

PS: This regards the (SQL Express) database only - with files i simply use WinMerge to update the live version with changed files.

Thanks Best regards

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jun 04, 2018 @ 11:31
    Michael Latouche

Hi Peter-Norbert,

I think you might start by having a look at the uSync package: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/usync/

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Michaƫl.

• Andy Felton 185 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Jun 04, 2018 @ 12:12
    Andy Felton

Hi Peter-Norbert,

Our normal scenario is to download the live database (and media) to a development machine and then as Michael has suggested use uSync. This package will serialise all Data and Document types to disk and we can simply upload the code to live (or staging) and it'll add these to the live database on startup (or sync depending on configuration). So Document and Data types we only ever enter on our development machine, content we only ever edit on live (we never copy this).

The advantage of this is that document/data types are then in source control and live content can continue to be edited.

If you need to also sync content consider Courier or Umbraco Cloud.

Hope this helps Andy

• Harry Spyrou 212 posts 604 karma points
    Jun 04, 2018 @ 13:39
    Harry Spyrou

There's also uSync Content edition that runs along with uSync, Depending on your version of Umbraco, this may be useful.

uSync content

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft