Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 48 posts 108 karma points
    Jun 05, 2018 @ 14:40
    Simon

Most operations in the backoffice that affect multiple content and especially media items are very slow. The most recent example is deleting 1 content folder with a hierarchy of roughly 1000 folders under it. This took several hours to complete and lucky for us it was in a development environment because the entire site was unavailable during this time. Our log file shows no errors but that could be a separate problem that I'm looking into.

It seems to me that there has got to be a faster way to go through these type of bulk operations without the need for complex solutions or extra (paid) plugins. What am I missing and can anyone help?

Jun 14, 2018 @ 15:29
    Simon

Is there any answer to this? We're effectively using out of the box settings... is there something that should be changed to optimize the site? This happens on any site with 100+ content items.

We've even had someone comment to us "this doesn't compare to sitecore at all" so there must be something we're missing.

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jun 14, 2018 @ 15:36
    Matthew Wise

Hi Simon,

I don't know of anything but a quick Google gave me a couple of options you could try on a dev envrioment

It also links to a paid package - https://soetemansoftware.nl/bulkmanager

Again I have used neither of these packages.

Also if one issue you are having is tree load times it maybe worth looking at list views.

Hope this helps

Matt

Edit: Anoither option would be to create a custom menu item to do bulk actions you require

Jun 14, 2018 @ 15:45
    Simon

That info helps a little but at the core, I'm having trouble understanding how umbraco can take hours to complete bulk operations. The example I gave of a bulk delete is only an example.

Other examples include:

• opening a media folder (that is set to list view) with many items in it
    • moving a piece of content that's inside a hierarchy with many
    • items sorting content with many neighbors, children or both
    Jun 14, 2018 @ 15:46
    Matthew Wise

Which version of Umbraco are you running?

Jun 14, 2018 @ 15:48
    Simon

Umbraco version 7.4.3 assembly: 1.0.5948.18141

Jun 14, 2018 @ 16:00
    Matthew Wise

One thing than can cause these slow downs is a full recycle bin.

Might be worth see how many items you have in there (script below deletes the items)

https://gist.github.com/kipusoep/bf5bde5ed85a896afda25df6b465ce76

Obviously check the sql and backup etc.

The other thing that can slow down these database queries are the versions umbraco keeps. You can clear these with the unversion package:

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/unversion/

Matt

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Jun 15, 2018 @ 11:05
    Peter Duncanson

Hi Simon,

Couple of questions to help give us some context if we could:

• Is this an inherited site?
    • Is it a site thats been upgraded from a previous < v7 version?
    • What is the create date of the homepage node (click it in the content section, go to the properties tab once the editor opens and there should be create date in there)
    • If you create a piece of content what Umbraco ID does it get, again you should find this on the properties tab or you can cheat and just hover over the item in the content tree and see what the url is in the bottom left of your browser (assuming your using Chrome).
    • Is the server(s) beefy enough, enough CPU and enough RAM?
    • Are you regularly importing any content INTO Umbraco at all?

Chances are you are running either a very old site or a site with a lot of content or content revisions on it and the database is just creaking trying to do its best. The alternative is that the server hardware is just starved while its trying to do some of this intensive stuff and possible a mix of the two.

Once we have some of the above answers we should then be able to better advise you on some actions to get it going a little faster.

• Rihab 104 posts 388 karma points
    Jul 28, 2020 @ 08:59
    Rihab

Hi peter ,

I'm having the same issue and i need help.

I will answer your questions:

• Is this an inherited site? No
    • Is it a site thats been upgraded from a previous < v7 version? Yes Upgraded from 7.12.3 to 7.15.5
    • What is the create date of the homepage node October 9, 2018
    • If you create a piece of content what Umbraco ID does it get 31000+
    • Is the server(s) beefy enough, enough CPU and enough RAM? CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6152 CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz (2 processors) , Ram 16 GB
    • Are you regularly importing any content INTO Umbraco at all? NO

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Rihab.

• Jorge Sereno 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jul 14, 2022 @ 16:03
    Jorge Sereno

Hello all,

anyone found out a solution for that? I am having the same problem with umbraco 9.4.1. A simple remove of one node in a list document type with 100+ nodes takes long long time and never finish, resulting in errors etc.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft