Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mak Bernal 3 posts 84 karma points
    Jun 08, 2018 @ 07:42
    Mak Bernal

enter image description here

Any Tips before i upgrade to the latest version please? Thanks in advance.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 08, 2018 @ 07:54
    Nik

Hi Mak,

Yes,

1) Back up everything, files and database ;-) On a more serious note though,

My first tip is to upgrade to 7.3.0, then to the last version of 7.3.* (can't remember the number off of the top of my head.

Also, I recommend reading the general upgrade instructions and the version specific upgrade notes

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/

These are great to help you get started with your upgrade.

There is a mixed consensus on how best to upgrade. Some people just try and jump to the latest version off the bat. This can work, but it can also have issues. My preferred approach is consecutive updates going Minor.0 version to Minor.Latest, before increased the Minor version.

For example:

7.2.8 - > 7.3.0 -> 7.3.8 -> 7.4.0 -> 7.4.3 -> 7.5.0 -> 7.5.14 etc, all the way to the latest.

However, I did an update (as it happens yesterday) that jumped straight from 7.5.3 to 7.10.4 with no issues. The early upgrades (7.2 -> 7.5) I found were generally more problematic, but massive improvements have been made since then so once you get to around 7.5.* you can probably just jump straight to the latest version.

Cheers,

Nik

• Mak Bernal 3 posts 84 karma points
    Jun 08, 2018 @ 07:59
    Mak Bernal

Big help Nik, Thanks!

• Andy Felton 185 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Jun 08, 2018 @ 08:35
    Andy Felton

Hi Mak,

Special consideration needs to be done around 7.6 as there are a few breaking changes. These are around Property Value Convertors and LegacyEncoding, I'd suggest setting EnablePropertyValueConvertors to false and useLegacyEncoding to true - neither of these are the default settings.

There is a very useful blog on upgrading at https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-upgrade-umbraco-safely/.

Thanks Andy

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 08, 2018 @ 08:13
    Nik

Just another thought, if you are upgrading to a version newer than (I think 7.6), you need to increase your .Net version to 4.6 as the minimum version of .Net changed due to the includes of a new .Net DLL dependency.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft