Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Jun 11, 2018 @ 17:37
    Paul Griffiths

Umbraco cannot start ysod

Hi,

Locally I created an umbraco application that connected to a MSSQL Server 2017 DB. When running through the Umbraco install wizzard I checked the option that adds a machineKey (thought id mention this)

As i only had a 2102 db instance on my remote server I installed an MSSQL server 2017 instance but when I try to connect to the database (from my local application) I am getting the Umbraco cannot start ysod.

enter image description here

My connectionString is formed as follows

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=200.1.00.3000;database=my_db_name;user id=my_user_name;password=my_secure_password" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

On the remote server, I have done the following

• Enabled TCP/IP and set port 1433
    • Set a rule in the firewall to
    • Allowed mixed mode authentication
    • Allowed remote connection on my instance
    • Created a user (with credentials from the connectionstring)
    • Set my user as db owner on the database

After configuring the above I restarted the SQL service and on the server itself I am able to use access my database using the credentials specified in my connectionString. Under SQL Server Authentication I can successfully connect.

If i remove the following (as seen on a forum thread in our)

<!--<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.8.1" />-->

I get the following error

enter image description here

I have tried another database and have the same issue and i have also had a friend complete the same process e.g. installing 2017 instance on his server etc.... and he is getting the same issue?

Can anyone point out what i migt be doing wrong please?

Thanks Paul

• Alex Brown 129 posts 620 karma points
    Jun 12, 2018 @ 07:47
    Alex Brown

I believe that when you comment out the umbracoConfigurationStatus key it re-runs the Umbraco installation. Try commenting out/deleting all values in your connection string to re-install Umbraco again. I've found in the past I get a YSOD when I try re-install Umbraco but there's a connection string present.

I'd suggest doing it without a machine key to see the results (I never create one and our db's seem to connect okay without it)

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Jun 14, 2018 @ 08:18
    Paul Griffiths

Hey Alex,

Thank you for getting back.

I didn't really want to reinstall umbraco again i just wanted to connect to a 2017 version of the DB but for some reason it wouldnt play ball.

I ended up starting over and installing a new umbraco project using my a 2012 instance. I had to recreate a few doc types and templates but it was less painful than fighting with why i couldn't connect to a remote 2017 instance?

Thanks Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft