Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Thompson 1 post 71 karma points
    Jun 15, 2018 @ 20:31
    Scott Thompson

Upgrade from 7.2.4 to 7.10.4

In the process of an extremely painful upgrade from 7.2.4 to 7.10.4. Solution upgrade applied via NuGet. In launching site to perform database upgrade, received numerous errors about tables missing...because they did not exist in the previous version. Specifically...

[umbracoUserStartNode] [umbracoUserGroup2App] [umbracoUserGroup] [umbracoUser2UserGroup]

I happened to have another 7.10.4 instance running, so I generated DDL for those tables from that database to get past the errors. I entered the appropriate data into each table.

Now I run into what seems to be an extremely common issue of not being able to login. I receive no error messages in the log. I know the username/password as it was used to login to the site prior to the upgrade.

What I have tried...

1 - In the web.config, set the useLegacyEncoding attribute to true.

2 - In the umbracoSettings.config, set the EnablePropertyValueConverters element to false.

3 - Assuming the password was incorrect (not true), tried following numerous methods for resetting it. (a) In the web.config, set the passwordFormat to "Clear". Changed password in database to clear password. Receive an ASP.NET Identity error stating it cannot work with clear passwords. (b) Utilized hashed versions of the "default" password. (c) tried to reset password but send email not working using correct SMTP settings.

Any other thoughts?

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jun 18, 2018 @ 22:36
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Scott

I hear / feel your pain... Got my partners site on a version that is 50+ behind and I am too "scared" to attempt an upgrade.

Just a thought tho - whilst you indicate you identified (and corrected) tables that were missing, are there potentially columns missing in existing tables that are creating errors that are no bubbling up to the logs ?

Personally I've never tried this sort of thing, merely thinking outloud !

Good luck - be keen to hear if / when you succeed and what other issues you found and fixed.

Nigel

• Matt Birch 6 posts 96 karma points
    Jun 19, 2018 @ 08:05
    Matt Birch

Given the DB differences I'm not entirely sure a password reset will work but for 3(c) are you able to change the SMTP settings in web.config to save the mail to a folder instead of trying to send the mail. This worked for me a few weeks ago when I was unable to login at all.

<configuration>  
      <system.net>  
        <mailSettings>  
          <smtp deliveryMethod="specifiedPickupDirectory">  
            <specifiedPickupDirectory pickupDirectoryLocation="c:\maildrop"  />  
          </smtp>  
        </mailSettings>  
      </system.net>  
    </configuration>

That's the example from here. Make sure the directory exists and then following the reset password process you should have an email message in that folder that you can open and get the reset URL.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft