Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Raghu 5 posts 87 karma points
    Jun 17, 2018 @ 14:59
    Raghu

Configuring chat in Umbraco

Hi,

I am newbie in Umbraco. We have a requirement wherein a chat functionality needs to be made configurable across multiple pages so that business team have the option to enable the chat functionality in any page per their interest. We are using Umbraco 6.1 version. Can you please let me know how this can be done in Umbraco? Thanks much for your assistance.

Regards, Raghu

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 431 posts 1669 karma points
    Jun 17, 2018 @ 15:44
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Raghu,

This isnt really a question specific to the Umbraco CMS. It all depends on the setup of your website however live chat is very easy to add. I have used the following free tool which is very good.

https://www.tawk.to/

You simply add script code to the header of whatever page you want it to appear.

In Umbraco you should have access to the HTML source of your website. You should then be able to easily add the script code.

Cheers,

Marc

Jun 17, 2018 @ 16:15
    Raghu

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the response. We don't want to use any specific plugin here. Next, the expectation is it should be configured in Umbraco in such a way that business team should have the option to enable the chat feature in any page they want. Hope this clarifies.

Regards, Raghu

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 17, 2018 @ 18:37
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Raghu,

I've done this with the Intercom chat plugin.

I've added a True/False property on the Document Type for a textpage and then in the template I check if the property is true, and if it is — I render the script tag necessary for Intercom to work.

Similarly, if the plugin you're using allows customization via HTML (or script), you can add properties for the stuff you need to make configurable, and make sure to render those customizations in the template as well.

Hope that helps,

/Chriztian

Jun 18, 2018 @ 14:57
    Raghu

Hi Chriztian,

Can you post some sample code if possible in this regard? Pardon me since i am completely new to Umbraco and from Java background. A sample/example code will really help me to get going on this. Appreciate your response.

Cheers,

Raghu

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 431 posts 1669 karma points
    Jun 18, 2018 @ 09:57
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Ragnu,

I agree with Chriztian on steps to integrate settings to enable/disable etc into Umbrasco.

Cheers,

Marc

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 19, 2018 @ 22:28
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi again Raghu,

If you set up an Enable Chat property as a True/False datatype on a doctype, you can use code like this to only render the chat script on pages where it has been enabled:

@inherits UmbracoViewPage
    @{
        Layout = null;

bool useIntercom = Model.GetPropertyValue<bool>("enableChat");
    }
    <html>
    <head>
    <!-- Head stuff -->
    </head>
    <body>

<!-- body stuff -->

@if (useIntercom) {
        <script>window.intercomSettings = { app_id: "..." };</script>
        <script>(function(){ ... })()</script>
    }
    </body>
    </html>

Hope that helps,

/Chriztian

Jun 28, 2018 @ 09:25
    Raghu

Hi Chriztian,

Thanks for the response. That helped indeed.

Regards,

Raghu

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft