Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 353 posts 825 karma points
    Jun 20, 2018 @ 07:40
    Matt

Development - Testing - Stage - Live

Morning all,

I've been searching around for past couple of days looking for information about setting up a Development - Testing - Stage - Live environment.

Currently we only have a live website but looking at setting up staging as well as still developing. locally.

I know there is something called courier but unfortunately it comes with a heavy price tag.

So my question, whats the best way for me to setup Development - Testing - Stage - Live environment without losing sync?

How do you manage your environments?

Thanks in advance, Matt

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Jun 20, 2018 @ 07:42
    Magnus Eriksson

Hello,

I use the uSync package for this purpose, works very well for my needs.

Regards, Magnus

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2018 @ 09:05
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Matt,

Just to make sure that you know about Umbraco Cloud which is pretty much tailored for handling all the heavy work with regards to syncing between environments...

/Chriztian

• Matt 353 posts 825 karma points
    Jun 20, 2018 @ 11:31
    Matt

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Yea I did notice Umbraco Cloud looks the easiest way, but unfortunately we will be hosting the website ourselves.

Still interested to know how others manage their environments without loosing/overwriting live data.

Thanks

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2018 @ 21:16
    Paul Sterling

Hi Matt -

Like @Magnus noted, uSync is a good option for creating deployments across environments and also will allow you to create artifacts that can be added to source control...assuming you are heading toward setting up continuous deployment (CD).

Based-on my experience, Umbraco Cloud is the best choice. But if that is not an option then uSync is a solid option as well. Courier is a fine choice as well but will be (I believe) replaced by Umbraco Deploy (which is what Umbraco Cloud uses) in the near future.

There are loads of good guidance on setting up CD with Umbraco - this one from Paul Gower is a favorite of mine. A web search will turn up others.

-Paul

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jun 21, 2018 @ 10:34
    Steve Morgan

When you say "losing sync" are you thinking content or doctypes?

If it's just doctypes - use uSync and easiest thing to do is not to change doctypes on live.

If you're worried about content then you can use uSync but I find the easiest thing to do is to only ever bounce down the content from live over dev / uat periodically via DB backups and a sanitisation script (if required).

If you're looking at staging content for review then I tend to avoid this so I'll let others comment on that but then you're on a Courier / uSync content / cloud solution.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft