Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul de Quant 403 posts 1520 karma points
    Jun 21, 2018 @ 14:42
    Paul de Quant

is it possible to preview a page without logging into the backoffice

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to view a saved/draft page as a preview but not be logged in. As part of our workflow process, external parties need to be able to view the 'end result' without having to log into the system.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Paul

• Barry 15 posts 56 karma points c-trib
    Jun 22, 2018 @ 06:40
    Barry

My preferred method for this would be to use a UAT or staging server, which ever you want to call it. This can be restricted in other ways and allows normal use of site without trying to force something through that shouldn't really be happening. Couple this to the live environment with courier or usync or simply use umbraco cloud and your onto a winner

• Paul de Quant 403 posts 1520 karma points
    Jun 22, 2018 @ 06:52
    Paul de Quant

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the reply. The issue we have here is that we currently use Courier, so what our client tends to do is publish a page first on a staging server, then circulates the link to whoever needs to see, they then make revisions if necessary and then set a scheduled publish date and courier it to their live environment. When the document on live hits it's publish date it never shows. I suspect it's because live is expecting to see a pre-existing publish of the page in question - we end up with an error stating 'document not in cache' on the live site.

If you don't publish first on staging and jsut go straight to 'Save and Schedule' it all works fine.

Hope this makes sense,

thanks

Paul

• Barry 15 posts 56 karma points c-trib
    Jun 22, 2018 @ 11:02
    Barry

Hi Paul

i can appreciate your predicament now. It is something that i have looked into before but did not find a suitable outcome. I believe that the problem lies in the fact that content cache file umbraco.config is not automatically re-generated when the scheduled piece of content is set to and before this it doesn't appear in the file. Most of our content is less time specific so the content is published on our UAT server and then syn'd when it needs to go live. If it is date/time sensitive content then someone has to be there to sync it over.

The same issue arises when you set a publish date/time on an existing piece of content as it is then removed until the publish time where as ideally it would show the last published version.

Sorry i couldn't help but i'm going to keep an eye on this in case someone else has the solution as i would love o know.

Barry

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft