Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jun 27, 2018 @ 13:45
    Stefan Kip

Upgrading from v7.5 to v7.11 - unable to login

I updated an umbraco site from v7.2.6 to v7.5.14 via NuGet. The update went fine and the column securityStampToken is added to the umbracoUser table. All entries inside that table have a NULL value in the securityStampToken column.

Now I went from v7.5.14 to v7.11.1, but I'm unable to login to the back-office when the update wizard is shown. An exception is thrown:

"Message": "An error has occurred.",
      "ExceptionMessage": "Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value",
      "ExceptionType": "System.ArgumentNullException",
      "StackTrace": "   at System.Security.Claims.Claim..ctor(String type, String value, String valueType, String issuer, String originalIssuer, ClaimsIdentity subject, String propertyKey, String propertyValue)
       at System.Security.Claims.Claim..ctor(String type, String value, String valueType, String issuer, String originalIssuer, ClaimsIdentity subject)
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity.AddUserDataClaims()
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity..ctor(ClaimsIdentity claimsIdentity, UserData userdata)
       at Umbraco.Core.Security.BackOfficeClaimsIdentityFactory`1.<CreateAsync>d__3.MoveNext()"

I attached the umbraco source and it fails on this line: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/cbd5071eed98e6ee65506c7347d96239e7ca50af/src/Umbraco.Core/Security/UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity.cs#L230

//The security stamp claim is also required... this is because this claim type is hard coded
    // by the SecurityStampValidator, see: https://katanaproject.codeplex.com/workitem/444
    if (HasClaim(x => x.Type == Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.Constants.DefaultSecurityStampClaimType) == false)
        AddClaim(new Claim(Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.Constants.DefaultSecurityStampClaimType, SecurityStamp, ClaimValueTypes.String, Issuer, Issuer, this));

So there are 2 possibilities: the securityStampToken is NULL but it shouldn't, or the login needs a securityStampToken while it may be NULL.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 27, 2018 @ 14:00
    Dave Woestenborghs

did you change the value for legacyEncoding in the web.config : https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/version-specific#version-760

Dave

Jun 27, 2018 @ 14:02
    Jun 27, 2018 @ 16:13
    Stefan Kip

legacyEncoding is set to true, like it used to be before upgrading.
    Cookies are cleared, also tried incognito mode.
    Both migrations are recorded in the database, so they both ran.

I really think it's not possible to upgrade from v7.5 to v7.11, I'm afraid I have to take smaller steps :-(

Jun 27, 2018 @ 14:04
    Jun 28, 2018 @ 07:05
    Stefan Kip

Just now I upgraded from 7.5 to 7.7, which on sign-in does fill the securityStampToken column.
    Now I'll be upgrading to 7.9 and then to 7.11.

Jun 28, 2018 @ 08:04
    Stefan Kip

So now I'm on 7.9.latest and logging in works for my account (which has a securityStampToken set).
    All the other Users do not have one yet, because they haven't logged in with v7.7 yet.
    Now when I remove the securityStampToken value from my user in the database, I'm unable to log in (same errors as the TS).

This means that I have to enter some random value for each user in the database to make the upgrades work. Seems like a bug to me?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 28, 2018 @ 09:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thanks Stefan for hanging in there, I see now where the error comes from and yes, it should not be necessary to add your own random guid into those columns.

The code you pointed out is exactly where the problem comes from, now we need to figure out how to fix it though. :-)

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-11486

Jun 28, 2018 @ 09:41
    Stefan Kip

No problem! Looking forward to a fix :-) In the meantime I'll add those random guids.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft