Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric Madsen 4 posts 84 karma points
    Jun 27, 2018 @ 22:28
    Eric Madsen

Umbraco support for SQL Express

Hi I'm new and looking to get started with Umbraco for my project.

The documentation doesn't include any mention of SQL 2017 Express as a supported database, but searching the forums I have found other users working with older versions < 2016.

Could anyone tell me if 2017 Express will work with Umbraco? And if there are any limitations or obvious pitfalls?

My other option was MySQL server, but with my company it would require an exception and a process that I would very much like to avoid.

thanks! Eric

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2018 @ 05:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Eric and welcome to the forum and Umbraco :-)

You should be able to use the SQL 2017 Express database without any issues. You can read more about SQL Express here https://stackify.com/what-is-sql-server-express/ I had a though in my head saying "Licensing"...But I have must have gotten something mixed up. But I thought that when using it comercially there would be some licensing stuff to sort out - But that does not seem to be the case according to the site I link to. But might be worth examining a bit more. Otherwise it's a matter of scalability to consider based on the needs of your project.

I would not recommend MySQL since some of the 3rd party packages available may not work with MySQL for instance. Umbraco itself should be able to run on it though but it can sometimes be a challenge too and it would be a shame to run it on MySQL just to learn that one of the packages need MSSQL support for instance.

I hope this helps! :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft