Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marco Vezzani 20 posts 174 karma points
    Jun 28, 2018 @ 13:18
    Marco Vezzani

Issue setting no document type available at root

I started building a site in Umbraco v7.11.0 and have just noticed something very odd. I have created all my document types and only had the homepage available at root level. Once I created that page I unchecked it so it woudl not be available at root level any more. My thinking being that content creators for the site will not be able to create another homepage by mistake.

All was going well until I noticed that if I select the content header it now gives me the option to create a page using any of the document types I have created (including compositions) even though none of these are allowed at the root level.

enter image description here

I then tried and was successful in creating a page at the same level as the homepage with one of these document types even though it's not set to be available at the root.

I then tried setting one of my document types to be allowed at the root, and then saw what was available when i selected the content heading. This time it was only the document type set to be available at root.

Have I missed a step or done something wrong, that setting no document type available at root level brings back all document types?

As we want to stop people from creating any pages at root level, but still want them to be able to access all the pages we currently have at root level available to them.

• Frans de Jong 548 posts 1840 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jun 28, 2018 @ 19:30
    Frans de Jong

Hi Marco,

This is a known "issue" that's there for historic reasons. I would advice to allow at least one document type at root and educate the editors.

Related issue in the issuetracker

So in short: this is expected behaviour until V8 is released.

Jun 29, 2018 @ 08:14
    Marco Vezzani

Thanks for the info, I knew I hadn't found something new just thought I had done something wrong in my set up. Good to know that it is a known issue and yes that's what we are doing currently (leaving 1 document type at the root).

Jun 29, 2018 @ 08:24
    Frans de Jong

Glad I could help!

Frans

Jul 05, 2018 @ 11:39
    Marco Vezzani

And then this happened literally the day after you answered Frans

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/pull/2740

Jul 05, 2018 @ 11:41