Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Jun 29, 2018 @ 08:50
    Fredrik Esseen

Upgrading old Umbraco 4.5.2

Hi all!

I have a really old site still running in 4.5.2 and the website really need an upgrade, mostly of security reasons. The websites contains hundreds of pages and a lot of images so Im not really keen to make a new installation of Umbraco 7 and migrate the content. There is also a lot of code built in Webforms and that will not work in Umbraco 7.

The website is not ready for a relaunch yet, but we are working the customer to do this, but in the meantime we think that it should still be as safe as possible.

What is your recommendation? Upgrade to Umbraco 6 as fas as I can or stay in Umbraco 4?

• Yakov Lebski 539 posts 2101 karma points
    Jul 04, 2018 @ 20:41
    Yakov Lebski

I think, that the best way updates to the latest Umbraco version, in case that used deprecated field - you can create the process to migrate data to new structure

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Jul 05, 2018 @ 12:01
    Fredrik Esseen

The problem is that the old functionality is built in Webforms and the latest version of Umbraco 7 doesnt allow that. So that will mean I have to rebuild it all from scratch. The client is not so keen at the costs for that when we might build a completely new site in a year or so.

So I believe that moving to 7 is not an option right now.

• Yakov Lebski 539 posts 2101 karma points
    Jul 07, 2018 @ 19:29
    Yakov Lebski

That I know Umbraco supports webforms too. you can see it https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/config/umbracosettings/ in Templates section.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft