Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Jul 09, 2018 @ 00:50
    John

Push content to umbraco via git?

Hello there,

I have been away from Umbraco since version 4. I am looking for a low maintenance way to setup a personal website/blog and honestly, everything comes with complexity, so I came back to umbraco :) The cost of having a database bothers me, but I guess if I have to I have to...

Ideally I want to be able to have my blog posts in markdown files in my visual studio solution, create/edit a file, push. Done....

I was hoping someone could tell me this can be done with Umbraco?

Thank you kindly for any thoughts John

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Jul 09, 2018 @ 08:40
    Søren Gregersen

The database in umbraco can be created on the fly (SqlCE version), and if it is not hit often, it can actually run a small website.

Having the content in markdown-files, either means you don't want to use the backoffice to edit content, or limit your content to just being a filename + an RTE (converting to/from markdown).

For a Jekyll / Hyde style site, I would recomend looking into static site generators - there are also posts on the forum on this topic: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/61843-Simple-Static-Website-Development-Using-Umbraco

Jul 09, 2018 @ 12:12
    John

Thanks Soren.

Yes, basically, my main two motives are simplicity and cheap hosting (it'll get about 10 unique visitors a month sort of thing)...

I figure publishing via git is the simplest thing, and no database means easier cheaper hosting...

I have tried HUGO for static site generation and may stick to it, but I find it a bit uncomfortable for some reason (im not sure I can explain why)...I dislike that I have to use other providers to handle things like, say, a contact form...

This downr project on github basically sums up what I really want; But I have so far failed to get working :| https://github.com/bradygaster/downr

Umbraco without a database would make me happiest/feel safest I think, but I am pretty sure that's not possible...although would gladly hear otherwise...

Jul 09, 2018 @ 12:41
    Søren Gregersen

Another option may be a headless approach (https://umbraco.com/headless/). This off course means not-cheap hosting, and hosting on at least two platforms.

The database in umbraco is just a file (or two). Can you live with that?

There is a lot more stuff in the CMS than just content. For a personal blog that you wan't to run static, it may not be the best choice.

Jul 09, 2018 @ 20:13
    John

Thanks Soren, I really appreciate your thoughts.

I'm not much of a good developer :).. but my experience with databases is that they are a pain. Moving it, setting connection strings, security, access etc.....I can live with them I suppose, but...they suck when it's not something you do day in day out...

Of all the CMS I've tried Umbraco has been my favorite and I am hence fairly familiar with it is the main reason I am here even though it may be a bit of overkill...

I considered UmbracoCloud (headless). Just a bit too steep for personal small scale use. It'd be good if they had a cheap option with limited hits/page views or something. I think that'd go a long way to helping not just me, but many an umbraco noobie or personal site.

I shall mull it over...I'm in no hurry.

Thanks heaps for your help! John

Jul 09, 2018 @ 22:03
    Søren Gregersen

Moving it, setting connection strings, security, access etc.....

There is none of that with Sql CE :)

Just a file. You can move it back and forth between local/dev and live. Beware this is not a practial solution for a site with multiple developers :)

Jul 10, 2018 @ 07:53
    John

Hmm I didn't realise that. So, say for example, I was to set it all up locally, then when I am ready to go live I could just copy it over via ftp? (and worry about syncing it later. I have used courier ages ago, and I read about usync a little lately...)

As a budget host I was considering using winhost.com ... hopefully their cheapness will be good enough...

Thanks heaps for all your advice. It's nice to have some decisions made in my head :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft