Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Zweben 265 posts 749 karma points
    Jul 12, 2018 @ 13:13
    David Zweben

Password reset option not showing up?

Hi,

I'm using Umbraco 7.11.0. I am trying to enable the password reset option for backoffice users. I went into the web.config, and on the UmbracoMembershipProvider line, I changed the "enablePasswordReset" option to "true", and reloaded the login page, but no password reset option showed up. Am I missing a step, or is this functionality just broken?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 12, 2018 @ 19:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

Is it the "Forgot password" function for the Umbraco users that you can't get to work properly when logging into the Umbraco backoffice? It should work out of the box and the setting <allowPasswordReset> in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file under the

If it's because you're working with members that should be able to login to a specific member section of the Umbraco site I think it will require some more code to get this working than only changing the setting for the membership provider in the web.config.

But I'm not quite sure whether your dealing with Umbraco users or members right now? :) Can you perhaps provide a screendump for this?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

/Jan

Jul 12, 2018 @ 19:43
    David Zweben

Hi Jan,

It's the password reset option for users. The "reset password" link simply isn't showing up at all on the login screen, even though the "enablePasswordReset" option is set to true.

If it matters, this is a site hosted on Umbraco Cloud.

Jul 12, 2018 @ 19:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

Ok, but the enablePasswordReset that you have enabled is for the membership provider, for dealing with the "members" not the "backoffice "users". So setting this will not help for the Umbraco login form.

So could you please try and check the umbracoSettings.config file - Do you see the <allowPasswordReset> option in there? If not then it is enabled by default. If you do and it says false then change it to true.

Otherwise maybe it's worth checking the log file to see if there are any errors regarding this?

Sorry just noticed some links and code formatting missing from my previous post. Will update it in a minute.

/Jan

Jul 12, 2018 @ 19:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Ok, so could not edit the missing link from my first post - The link to the umbracoSettings.config is here https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/config/umbracosettings/#security

Jul 12, 2018 @ 19:59
    David Zweben

Thanks Jan, you nailed it! I was getting mixed up between membership and users. I changed <allowPasswordReset> to True in umbracoSettings.config, and that did the trick!

Thanks again,
    David

Jul 12, 2018 @ 20:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

Ah, phew! Very good to hear that it worked out :-)

Happy coding!

/Jan

• Richard Hamilton 79 posts 169 karma points
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 13:24
    Richard Hamilton

Just a note to anyone else with the issue.

You also need to make sure the mailSettings are completed in Web.Config under system.net

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft