Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lakshmi 1 post 71 karma points
    Jul 16, 2018 @ 09:29
    Lakshmi

Table in Rich Text Editor is not editable in back office

Table in Rich Text Editor is not editable in back office

Hi All,

I was trying to edit the content within the table of Rich Text Editor in back office. But the content in table is not editable. I am facing this issue in edge. But this works fine in Chrome. Any content outside the table within the Rich Text Editor is editable. Can any one of you please help me!!

Thanks in advance. Lakshmi

• steschu 88 posts 489 karma points
    Jan 20, 2019 @ 20:33
    steschu

Hi,

I just struggled with table editor in the Rich Text property editor, it is simply not good. Actually it pretends to provide much functionality (e.g. merge cells), but nothing happens when I try to change the settings. I can't either mark multiple rows and so on. This is very annoying because my customers in fact won't be able to change table data on their own.

Does anybody know a good solution for this? Stephan

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jan 20, 2019 @ 22:50
    Nicholas Westby

If you are working with a widget-based site, you can create your own table editor (i.e., as a widget separate from the rich text widget).

Some other ideas:

• Upgrade TinyMCE. May not be easy.
    • Add a TinyMCE plugin that incorporates a different table editor.
  • steschu 88 posts 489 karma points
    Jan 21, 2019 @ 03:07
    steschu

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your answer.

You mean creating a custom property editor with a different HTML editor is a solution? I could try that, but it'll be a lot of work. I wonder why so less people seem to have noticed this problem here in the forum. I mean, does nobody work with tables in the RTE?

Upgrading the TinyMCE is indeed difficult. There a tons of files in the umbraco installation that have to do TinyMCE.

Stephan

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jan 21, 2019 @ 19:10
    Nicholas Westby

You mean creating a custom property editor with a different HTML editor is a solution?

I actually meant building (or finding) a component which is specifically geared toward editing tables.

Here's another option I just thought of:

• Create a rich text widget that has specific support for transforming tables. Imagine a normal rich text editor in Umbraco, and a few sibling properties that adjust the table. So, you could have an option for "First Column is Header" and another for "First Row is Header", and so on. Then, you can use HTML Agility Pack to make the appropriate adjustment to the table markup before rendering it to the page.

Here are some things to keep in mind if you will be attempting to upgrade TinyMCE:

Another thing to keep in mind is the browser you are using. I tend to have the best luck using Chrome in the Umbraco back office.

One more thing to check on would be the tinyMceConfig.config file in the ~/config/ folder. Might have some settings you can use to adjust the editing experience (e.g., I recently added a custom format there to add a CSS class to a table to style it specially).

• Daniel Gustafsson 13 posts 93 karma points
    Jan 28, 2020 @ 13:25
    Daniel Gustafsson

Hi,

Did any of you manage to solve this? Also have problems with the normal table plugin, nothing happends when i e.g try to delete a row, merge, insert etc..

Thanks in advance

/Daniel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft