Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy 2 posts 82 karma points
    Jul 16, 2018 @ 10:50
    Andy

Hi all,

I'm very new to Umbraco and just starting to get into version 7.11.1. I've seen a number of conflicting answers to this question on the web, so wanted to ask the people that would know.

I would like to be able to run a number of sites on our server, all separate customers with varying styles and structures.

Can these be run under one instance of Umbraco or is it best to have separate instances of Umbraco for each individual site?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 16, 2018 @ 11:07
    Nik

Hi Andy,

The simple answer is yes. You can run multiple sites under a single instance of Umbraco.

However, there are things to be aware of and your exact use case needs to be considered.

1) Areas of the Umbraco back office, such as Developer and Settings, don't have detailed user seperation. So they could be common between all sites. This might (you've had to check), also apply to Forms if you were using it.

2) You might have issues with permissions in Media. Plus, if someone knew 2 sites were hosted on the same Umbraco instance and new a media link for an image on Site A, that same link would work on Site B. ... e.g. /media/123/myimage.png would work on both A and B.

3) If you wanted to transfer ownership of a complete site to a different server/client you are likely to have all sorts of issues trying to separate it.

There are a lot of other considerations, but I think they are some important ones to start with.

Thanks,

Nik

• Dean 8 posts 98 karma points
    Jul 16, 2018 @ 11:14
    Dean

In addition to niks reply i have had great experience using it as a multi tennant site. But it is more complex to build it this way. Everything has to be referenced back to the root hub, and can't reference a page ID for example as it will be different on each version of the site.

Also like nick said you can't separate members in the backend, so you will need to build a frontend portal to manager users if the client needs to add members.

Overall i would recommend it, but it has drawbacks.

• Andy 2 posts 82 karma points
    Jul 16, 2018 @ 11:21
    Andy

Thanks for the guidance guys. That has given me food for thought.

Thanks,

Andy.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft