Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dean 8 posts 98 karma points
    Jul 17, 2018 @ 08:46
    Dean

Is using the default sqlce database a good option for Production

I am using azure, and have always converted the database to SQL Server prior to production. Are there any significant performance issues leaving it as a sqlce database. The load on the website should be low, but i still need it to be fast. I like the fact that it can work on azure for free.

Does anyone have any feedback in regards to this? The site does not use any stored procedures or views.

Thanks, Dean

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 17, 2018 @ 09:57
    Nik

Hi Dean,

Personally, I would advise against it.

There are people around that say for low traffic sites you can get away with it. The main reason is that, as long as your website isn't using the services that hit the Database to load front end views, the database should only be hit when you are updating content/working in the back office. This is subject to any custom code you've opted to implement which might also interact with the database.

I would advise just checking on the limitations of SQLCE, in DB size, access limits, and usage limits :-)

If you can, you might be better going for SQL Express.

Cheers

Nik

• Simon Napper 84 posts 254 karma points
    Jul 17, 2018 @ 11:49
    Simon Napper

To quote Dr. Ian Malcolm "but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should" :-)

So whilst you could for very, very, very light production sites, I agree with Nik and suggest that you don't as I think you'll find it running like a one legged Tyrannosaurus very quickly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft