Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Siavash Mortazavi 24 posts 145 karma points
    Jul 17, 2018 @ 19:19
    Siavash Mortazavi

Re-updating Database for Umbraco Upgrade

Hi all, I have this case here: 1. I have a live site on Umbraco 7.3, which is supposed to be udpated to the latest. 2. I've cloned the site files and database and have successfully updated it to the latest (7.11.1). 3. The content of the live website might have been changed from the time I've started the upgrade process.

Now the question is, since Umbraco has changed the structure of the db, can I clone the latest current live db and point my updated website to it and have it updated to the latest Umbraco structure?

In other words, although that the file versions are the on the latest, is Umbraco installation smart enough to pick the old database structure and copy them over?

If that's not the case, do you have any suggestion to do so?

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jul 17, 2018 @ 19:31
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Siavash

Not sure I will answer your question, but here goes...

When upgrading the trigger is the updated DLL files and then also the version number in the web.config - umbracoConfigurationStatus key in appSettings. Sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know.

So when you replace the Umbraco files, including the DLL's the upgrade process is triggered as the binaries know which version they are and can see they are out of sync with the web.config.

Without knowing your full scenario you have a couple of options:

1. Backup both site files and the database of the live site, apply the new files to the live site and the upgrade should kick in, and fingers crossed all goes well. You might need to check the config directory and web.config to ensure there are no changes between the versions.

2. Repeat the process you've detailed (copy down the live site), run the upgrade and then upload. If you can achieve this in a short timeframe then the risk re data changing will be minimised. If doing this way I would suggest uploading the upgraded site to a separate directory and database so you have a complete fall back position should something go wrong with the upgrade. As stated without knowing the full picture, this option might not be an option.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft