Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David McDonnell 53 posts 251 karma points
    Jul 24, 2018 @ 11:41
    David McDonnell

Upgrade Umbraco 6.1.6 to 7.0.0

Hi I have inherited a project with Umbraco installed manually and I am in the process of upgrading a 6.1.6 project to version 7.0.0

Umbraco has the following packages installed:

• uBootstrap (cannot seem to remove as the whole site seems to depend on it)
    • uComponents (removed successfully)
    • True Colour Picker (remove after upgrade)
    • Embedded Content (Removed successfully)

I have followed v6 -> v7 upgrade for manual upgrades. made all config merges and dll updates and umbraco & umbraco_client folder updates. Also updated the install folder

When I run the the site I am redirected to the /install/default page but I receive a 404 not found error.

This default.aspx file does exist in the install folder and I receive this whether I use IIS / IIS express (from within Visual Studio 2015)

Any help would be appreciated David

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jul 25, 2018 @ 01:02
    Marc Goodson

Hi David

Are there any of the old V6 dlls in the bin folder?

Redirecting to the /install/ seems like old behaviour.

What I tend to do now with upgrades from 6 to 7 is....

Download the version of 7 that I'm upgrading to for a jump from 6, I'd recommend going first to 7.5.14 (this is because of changes in 7.6 that may require further complication with regard to pickers and how they store data, but once you are on 7.5.14 it's easier to go higher!)

So I run my vanilla 7.5.14 umbraco site, and I point it at the database of my Umbraco 6 site (or a copy of) and this will trigger an upgrade of the database schema... (now there maybe errors along the way in doing so, usually missing indexes, that you manually put in or remove to allow the upgrade to proceed) -

Once the upgrade is complete you are presented with a list of the property editors your site uses that aren't compatible with Umbraco 7.. I install GodMode to track down where the properties are used, and how best to choose Umbraco 7 alternative property editors. https://our.umbraco.com/projects/developer-tools/diplo-god-mode/

I then migrate any content either manually or programatically (see this PhoenixConverters project for inspiration: https://github.com/imulus/PhoenixConverters).

Then once I have an Umbraco 7 backoffice that can update all content, I'll move across the implementation files, eg views, models, css, js etc from the 6 project, into the 7 site, and start fixing issues with the implementation related to the switch in the incompatible property editors.

But hopefully your nearly there anyway, and just cleaning the bin folder of old dlls will get you to the next step.

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft