Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ssougnez 93 posts 319 karma points c-trib
    Jul 25, 2018 @ 11:26
    ssougnez

Load balancing and files replication

Hi,

I'm currently building a site with Umbraco 7 and soon, I'll have to deploy it behind a load balancer. I read a lot of documentation about that but something is still not clear to me; what is the exact role of DFS?

When a web site is installed on several servers, do I need to execute deployments on each one of them to update files (DLL, views, etc...) or only on the master one and DFS ensures that everything is pushed to the other environment?

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 25, 2018 @ 11:32
    Jeavon Leopold

It depends if you are deploying to a "synchronised" (Option #2) file system or to a "non-replicated" (Option #1) file system setup. Both are supported by Umbraco, however when using "non-synchronised" you cannot use the backoffice editors for css or views as the files won't get replicated between servers.

• ssougnez 93 posts 319 karma points c-trib
    Jul 25, 2018 @ 12:09
    ssougnez

Ok, that I get, but I was wondering about the initial setup. How do you deploy the site first? You install the master server normally (the app pool, the iis site, copy of the files and configuration of Umbraco), but what about the other servers? You just need to create the app pool and the IIS site and then DFS ensures that everything else is copied and synchronized?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft