Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adam Colbourne 20 posts 54 karma points
    Jul 28, 2018 @ 04:20
    Adam Colbourne

Setting Up Existing Umbraco Site to use Visual Studio Code/NuGet

My website currently has Umbraco installed, but I am looking to use Visual Studio Code/NuGet to help install updates. Can anyone give me direction on how to set up my current site into VSC? The only instructions I see are for fresh installs.

Many thanks.

• Marcel van Helmont 68 posts 259 karma points c-trib
    Jul 28, 2018 @ 08:26
    Marcel van Helmont

Hi Adam,

The documantation for upgrading can be found at this url https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/

If the site is installed with nuget the common way is to use packages manager to update UmbracoCms

If not installed by nuget starting a new project in VS install same version umbraco by nuget. Then transfor custom files like templates en css en compare your config files. Pointing to the same database.

If everything works well then you can easy upgrading using nuget.

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 28, 2018 @ 09:40
    Owain Williams

Yip, I had a similar issue a couple of years back. I'd installed Umbraco but not via nuget. The easier way is as Marcel has suggested. Open Visual Studio, make a new MVC project and follow the install instructions here for nuget:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/install-umbraco-with-nuget

To find out what version of Umbraco you are currently on, log in to the backoffice and click on the ? help button down in the bottom left hand corner.

Then run install-package UmbracoCms -version 7.10.4 <-- Change the version number to match what you are currently on.

Then copy the files from your current site, probably via FTP, in to your project, remember to copy the database too!

You should now have a nuget version of your site which will speed up upgrades in the future.

O.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft