Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon 18 posts 128 karma points
    Jul 30, 2018 @ 08:32
    Jon

Errors on website start up (read only server)

Hi,

Version 7.11.1

How do you get around errors where the website is trying to write to the db on start up. But it's from a read only load balanced server that shouldn't have write access to the database. Is it a case of temporarily allowing access for them to complete there task?

Errors include:

ERROR Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - Exception (99054426).
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'cmsMacro', database 
     'livedb'

ERROR Umbraco.Forms.Web.Migrations.MigrationEvents - Error running Umbraco Forms migration
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'cmsMacro', database 'livedb'

Thanks

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jul 30, 2018 @ 08:40
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Jon,

It seems you are trying to do a upgrade. An upgrade should always be done from a server that has write access to the db

Dave

Jul 30, 2018 @ 08:53
    Jon

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have done the upgrade already on our read/write server and it seems to have worked correctly. Could this be an over hang and temporarily granting access might resolve the errors?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2018 @ 09:10
    Dave Woestenborghs

So probalby something is triggering the upgrade.

Does your web.config on have the correct version number in it ?

Dave

Jul 30, 2018 @ 09:25
    Jon

Yes correct version number, not sure about the forms. I noticed another forms error in the read only logs.

Surely it's not a requirement that they have write access to the db?

ERROR Umbraco.Web.Strategies.ServerRegistrationEventHandler - Failed to update server record in database.
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'umbracoLock', database 'livedb'

Jul 30, 2018 @ 10:06
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Jon,

Did you have this error before the upgrade to 7.11.1 ? What version were you running before this.

I see only one place in the code where this error is logged : https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/7ee510ed386495120666a78c61497f58ff05de8f/src/Umbraco.Web/Strategies/ServerRegistrationEventHandler.cs#L143

I assume you use this to make your server run as a slave servere : https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/Load-Balancing/flexible-advanced#explicit-master-scheduling-server

Dave

Jul 30, 2018 @ 10:07
    Jon

Hi Dave,

Yes had the issue with 7.5.11 when I joined the company.

Yes we do want to run it as a slave, will check the link out.

Thanks

Edit: looking at the link it looks like this hasn't been implemented so I'm going to try it. thanks

Jul 30, 2018 @ 10:19
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Jon,

Yes had the issue with 7.5.11 when I joined the company.

Did you perhaps use a different db user for your slave servers that only has read access to the db ?

Dave

Jul 30, 2018 @ 13:04
    Jon

Yes the user for the db is different on the slave servers. It is read only.

Jul 30, 2018 @ 13:39
    Jon

I guess the question I should be asking is it possible to have slave servers running with read access only to the db?

Jul 30, 2018 @ 14:10
    Dave Woestenborghs

Than that is the cause.

You can use the link I posted earlier to designate your servers as master/slave.

The slave servers will only write to tables they need access too.

Dave

Jul 30, 2018 @ 15:01
    Jon

First eyes over looks good following implementation however I did spot this in the logs for one of the read only slave servers.

ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive - Failed (at "http://cms-editor:9000/umbraco")

I wouldn't have thought the slave server would want to access the master server?

Edit : Looks like the errors have gone though now so it was a poorly implemented load balancer solution that was the underlying cause. Thank you

• Anthony Southworth 46 posts 173 karma points
    Feb 20, 2019 @ 14:47
    Anthony Southworth

Hi Jon,

I am getting the Scheduling.KeepAlive error on my slave servers. When you say it was a poorly implemented load balancer solution that was the underlying cause, what do you mean? Was there a specific configuration setting that was wrong?

Thanks

Tony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft