Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeremy Schlosser 14 posts 84 karma points
    Aug 02, 2018 @ 00:29
    Jeremy Schlosser

Media uploads and file moves show incorrect author/created-by user

We've discovered when a user uploads an image in the Media section, the author of those media items shows up as the incorrect user. No matter which user uploads an image, the author for that upload is always me (the original admin user). Also, whenever any user moves a file/web page, I am credited with moving the file.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this behavior?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 02, 2018 @ 04:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jeremy

That indeed sounds very odd - But what exact version of Umbraco are you experiencing this on? Is it the latest version, which is 7.11.1 currently? Or any previous version? If it's a previous version the issue may have been fixed.

/Jan

Aug 02, 2018 @ 16:15
    Jeremy Schlosser

I'm using 7.5.8

Aug 02, 2018 @ 17:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jeremy

Ok...I'm wondering if this could perhaps be a bug in the particular version of Umbraco but I have not been able to find any issues on the issue tracker that confirms this yet.

However I'm also wondering if I'm correct to assume that the images are in fact uploaded within the media archive and not from a custom made image upload form outside of Umbraco? If it is then this probably happens because the code that takes care of uploading the image is set to always use the administrator user for instance.

/Jan

Aug 02, 2018 @ 17:40
    Jeremy Schlosser

Hi Jan

I found this post that mentions a similar issue: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/68063-media-uploads-showing-incorrect-author, but there is no resolution.

Our users are uploading images using Umbraco's media section drag-and-drop or by clicking "click here to upload."

The other odd thing occurring is that I'm getting credited whenever another user moves a file in the content section.

Aug 02, 2018 @ 20:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jeremy

Yes that is indeed odd - Sounds to me like it's a bug in that particular version. Is there any chance that you could try to spend some time doing an upgrade locally to 7.6 for instance and see if the problem persists? Of course remember to backup the DB and the files in case something does not go as expected if you take this approach - Better safe than sorry :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft