Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Drew Mayo 24 posts 125 karma points
    Aug 06, 2018 @ 17:34
    Drew Mayo

Error 500 when calling GetSections

Hi all ---- I just started upgrading Umbraco on our site from 7.6.1 to 7.11.1 through NuGet.

After pulling down the package, I've started getting failures when opening the Umbraco back end. I can login fine, yet the left menu won't load. I found the 500 error in Chrome developer tools, this is the cut-and-paste from there:

{Message: "An error has occurred.", ExceptionMessage: "One or more errors occurred.",…} ExceptionMessage : "One or more errors occurred." ExceptionType : "System.AggregateException" InnerException : {Message: "An error has occurred.",…} Message : "An error has occurred." StackTrace : " at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification) ↵ at Umbraco.Web.Editors.SectionController.GetSections() ↵ at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] ) ↵ at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters) ↵ at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken) ↵--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- ↵ at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() ↵ at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) ↵ at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.

I truncated the stack trace some to save space (I can add it all if someone wants). Going to https://localhost/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Section/GetSections gives a 417 error.

I've also tried creating an new empty web, installing 7.6.1, upgrading to 7.11.1 and everything runs fine. That makes me thing I have something interfering in my code, yet I'm at a loss to find it.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Drew

• Ben Palmer 176 posts 842 karma points c-trib
    Aug 06, 2018 @ 20:26
    Ben Palmer

Hi Drew,

I've run into similar issues that has been down to caching. I'd try the following:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies for the site
    2. Clear out the ~/App_Data/TEMP directory
    3. Bump the version in ~/config/ClientDependency.config (if running in debug, you can skip this step).
    4. Clean and rebuild

This is a little bit of a punt but it's fixed similar issues for me in the past so got to be worth a try, right?

Hope it helps!

Ben

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Aug 06, 2018 @ 21:39
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

Check the TREES config file (and all the other /config files) - There has been some changes which you will need to merge in.

As a matter of course, when you run/update via NUGET, it excludes the /config folder.

I typically, just get the new config files, and just make the few adjustments to get things "back as they were".

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft