This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• M N 125 posts 212 karma points
    Aug 07, 2018 @ 19:45
    M N

XML Parsing Error: no root element found

Hey all,

Was curious if anyone has encountered this in the Packages area:

XML Parsing Error: no root element found
    Location: http://localhost:51234/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/PackageInstall/ValidateInstalled?name=Doc+Type+Grid+Editor&version=0.5.0
    Line Number 1, Column 1:

I have always encountered this error on every site and every version of 7+, and sometimes it seems pretty benign, but other times it stops us from installing packages.

Anywho, ValidateInstalled usually seems to throw an error. If anyone has seen this or knows the reason I'd love to learn the reason :)

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 07, 2018 @ 20:12
    Nik

Hey M N,

Do you have an installedPackages.config file located in the following path:

/App_Data/packages/installed

It could be searching for that file which, when empty has the following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages></packages>

So if it's not there, it could be failing to open and parse it.

Nik

Aug 07, 2018 @ 20:22
    M N

Hi Nik,

Yes I should have added that I have cleared the installedPackages.config file, but even with an empty installedPackages I receive the error.

Honestly it doesn't harm anything from what I can tell, but it's somewhat annoying seeing it in console error constantly.

Thanks for your reply.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 07, 2018 @ 20:40
    Nik

No worries. Looking into the source it does seem odd that you are getting that error.

If the file doesn't exist or is completely empty it does look like it should try and at least set it back to its initial settings.

Is that error from the log file? If so, do you have this anywhere near it in the log file "An error occurred in GetAllPackages" ?

Aug 08, 2018 @ 22:52
    M N

Nah, just that error on ValidateInstalled endpoint. Any time you click on a package, basically.

Oh well, not a huge deal Nik was just curious if anyone had encountered this exact issue and had a quick fix. Many thanks for your thoughts.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft