Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Colin Anderson 14 posts 105 karma points
    Aug 09, 2018 @ 10:11
    Colin Anderson

Number of sites in an instance

Hi, I am starting a new project where I will be creating a base site. When completed, new instances of the site will be created based on the base site.

Over time, there is potentially going to be over 900 instances of the site. Some will be changed very little (organisation name, address, staff etc.) and some will have lots of custom content added. The size of each site can vary from under 100 pages to over 1000 pages.

The 900+ organisations can be split into about 30 categories and they all need to be hosted in Azure over SSL. Access to the sites will be from either a sub folder under an existing single domain, from a subdomain of the existing domain or via a unique domain.

Each of the organisations will have their own Umbraco users who should only see their site when logged in.

Document types, partial views etc. will be the same for all organisations and site structures will be close to the original base site.

Given the above information, how many instances of Umbraco/how many sites should I have in each?

Thanks,

Colin

• Martin 278 posts 662 karma points
    Aug 09, 2018 @ 14:48
    Martin

Hi Colin,

I'm at the beginning of creating my first multisite setup, specifically on Umbraco Cloud. Its nowhere near as complex as your 900+ sites, but I did find out that there is a maximum of 15 hostnames per instance/ umbraco project and that this is not a Umbraco rule, but a limitation of Azure.

• Colin Anderson 14 posts 105 karma points
    Aug 13, 2018 @ 08:45
    Colin Anderson

Hi Martin,

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of the Azure limitation on the number of hostnames so good to know. :)

• Martin Meixger 17 posts 75 karma points
    Dec 12, 2018 @ 08:13
    Martin Meixger

I think the limitation is indeed a Umbraco rule. The Azure App Service limit for Custom domains per app is 500 domains. [source]

I need to host many landingpages each on a different domain. I cannot justify paying for multiple Umbraco Cloud instances because of only 15 domains per instance. So, sadly, i need to go back to a Azure App Service.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft