Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leo Filippelli 2 posts 72 karma points
    1 week ago
    Leo Filippelli

Hi all,

I have an Umbraco site up and running since 5 months aprox. It is a digital newspaper that has around 35K visits per month and handles more than 10K contents. It is currently hosted in a shared server on https://asphostportal.com/ and it has been working quiet good.

What's the problem then? In the last 2 weeks the service was down 5 times, each of them during 1 or 2 hours and that is very bad for a public site such as a newspaper. I was really happy with the service before this, but now I am starting to think about other hosting alternatives because I can't afford this happening all the time.

So the question is: what do you recommend for umbraco hosting? I would really love to use Umbraco Cloud, it is great, but starter plan does not support 10K+ contents and the professional is just too expensive for my client.

Thanks in advance!

• Greg Hluska 21 posts 115 karma points
    1 week ago
    Greg Hluska

Does the host have any explanation for why they have been down? Could they try moving your site to a different box?

I'm asking because if the service was good, it's entirely possible that a new tenant moved into the shared box and is causing problems. But honestly, at 35k visits a month, your site could actually be causing everyone else problems. Is it possible that the host moved you onto a box for tenants who use beyond the usual limits of shared hosting?

How are you at sysadmin? If you're skilled enough to keep a Windows box up, serving 35k visitors and secure, Azure would be a good bet. If you need something managed, I think you'll find that Umbraco Cloud is actually quite competitive on a price vs features vs convenience comparison.

Edit - This certainly is not a good sign. I just tried to check out your current host and their site is down...maybe ignore the advice about asking them what's up? :)

• Leo Filippelli 2 posts 72 karma points
    1 week ago
    Leo Filippelli

Thanks for your reply. I alredy asked and my site was not the problematic one. The service was really good the first 5 months, not a single problem, then they have 1 problem that was hard to resolve and after the second time I had downtime they told me it was fixed, but obviously not.

• Jon R. Humphrey 160 posts 446 karma points c-trib
    1 week ago
    Jon R. Humphrey

Leo,

I highly recommend looking into your own Virtual Private Server unless you're dead set on using a cloud-based service?

Happy to answer any questions you might have, or give my recommendation if you still need one.

Kind regards, Jon

• Ben Palmer 137 posts 688 karma points
    1 week ago
    Ben Palmer

Hi Leo,

Have you looked into Azure yet? There's a pricing calculator that might help you make a decision on that. If you set up an App Service and an SQL Database that could solve your hosting problems. You can also do things like auto-scaling if the site hits traffic spikes etc.

Alternatively, you could set up your own VPS, I've used eUKHost in the past without too many issues - they're about the cheapest I could find in the UK.

Hope that helps,

Ben

• John Palmer 58 posts 142 karma points
    5 days ago
    John Palmer

Hi Leo,

I dont have any problem host my site with them. You can discuss with their support team and ask them to move your account to new server. Maybe they have maintenance or OS problem? Honestly, I've been using their services for years and there are no serious issue with them.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft