Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darren Eccles 59 posts 298 karma points
    Aug 14, 2018 @ 10:21
    Darren Eccles

upgrading umbraco from 7.2 to 7.12, is it possible

Hi

As the title says really, just wondering if its possible to do such a big upgrade from 7.2 to 7.12?

I'm wondering if its going to be easier to create a new instance of an umbraco site, than fight with a load of errors and bugs trying to get it to work via upgrading.

Thanks

Darren

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 14, 2018 @ 10:38
    Nik

Hi Darren,

Yes it is possible, but it's advisable to do a stepped approach rather than just jumping from 7.2 to 7.12.

There are various breaking changes that have happened over the various versions of Umbraco and it's often best to deal with these at each point.

When doing such a big upgrade I would advise to upgrade to the highest patch version of the version you are currently on, i.e. 7.2.8. Then move to the next Minor version (i.e. 7.3.0) then again to the highest patch version (7.3.8). I'd repeat this version to get yourself to 7.6.13. After this point, I've found it's been much easier to do larger updates. So I'd then give it a go to jump from 7.6.13 to 7.11.1 (I wouldn't go straight to 7.12.0, I generally try to avoid the .0 releases for at least a month in case any bugs show up.)

Make sure you back up both your source code and your database before doing the updates and remember to read the version specific upgrade notes. These are really important:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/version-specific

The general upgrade rules are useful as well and they can be found here:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/general

Cheers

Nik

Aug 14, 2018 @ 15:49
    Darren Eccles

Thanks Nik,

I've managed to get to version 7.11.1 from 7.2.4, happy days.

All my upgrades were done via NuGet in VS2017.

This was my upgrade process (link to specific version changes):

1. 7.2.4 - 7.5.14
    2. 7.5.14 - 7.6.1
    3. 7.6.1 - 7.6.13
    4. 7.6.13 - 7.7.0
    5. 7.7.0 - 7.7.13
    6. 7.7.13 - 7.11.1

If anyone else is in the same situation, just follow the link above regarding the specific version changes. Also 7.7.0 is really buggy on the front-end, don't try and fix, just upgrade to 7.11.1 after this (this will fix allot of the bugs in 7.7.0).

I had one error that seemed to keep recurring:

"Cannot perform runtime binding on a null reference"

How to fix:

1. Go to 'Config/umbracoSettings.config'
    2. Find <EnablePropertyValueConverters>
    3. Set to 'false'

Hope this helps someone out, thanks again Nik.

Darren

Aug 16, 2018 @ 09:07
    Darren Eccles

Just an update, I was getting the following errors when using the datetime picker in the back office:

TypeError: moment.defineLocale is not a function

Error: moment.locale is not a function

The problem was with umbraco forms (v4.1.5), it was conflicting with the moment.js in 'App_Plugins/UmbracoForms/Assets/moment/moment.min.js'.

I just renamed this folder 'moment' and this fixed the problem.

Darren

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 16, 2018 @ 09:19
    Nik

Hi Darren,

You need to update Umbraco Forms I believe. If you don't there may be compatibility issues.

Cheers

Nik

Aug 16, 2018 @ 10:39
    Darren Eccles

Thanks Nik,

Just upgraded forms to v7.0.3 via NuGet and all seems to be working as it should :)

Darren

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft