Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jakob Lithner 61 posts 264 karma points
    Aug 23, 2018 @ 11:03
    Jakob Lithner

How to edit User Groups?

I saw the TV episode on Umbraco User Types. It was instructive and clear. But when I decide to apply my knowledge I realize that a new concept named User Groups is used! I use 7.11 and instructions obviously target something older.

1) Is there no synchronization between instructions and current version?

2) In the user section the only node available is Users. Should there be more? If so, how can I get my nodes back?

3) Is it not possible to add custom User Groups or edit the provided?

4) Is it not possible to set custom permissions?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 23, 2018 @ 13:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jakob

Unfortunately it can at some times be a tough challenge for HQ to keep up with the the new changes that happen in the backoffice. And if it's a tutorial from the umbraco.tv site then it's most likely outdated currently.

1: I think my answer to this is in the opening line above :)

2: There are more but it's easy to overlook when going from the old way to the new way. Look in the upper right corner and you will see "Users" and "Groups" It's the same concept as when you create a document type for instance. But easy to overlook when you're used to the old way :) I was also confused at first. We simply go blind :)

See this screendump enter image description here

3: In the "Groups" section you can edit existing groups or add your own groups

4: Currently you can't set access permissions pr. user - This needs to be assigned at a group level if I understand your questions correctly. But I think that's a better approach than having to setup individual privileges for each user though. But it can of course depend on the scenario at hand.

I hope this helps? :)

/Jan

• Jakob Lithner 61 posts 264 karma points
    Aug 23, 2018 @ 13:56
    Jakob Lithner

Thank you!!! Sometimes the answer is more simple than expected :)

I understand that TV sessions are not always up to date, but when you are new to Umbraco it can sometimes be a bit challenging ...

I feel kind of stupid missing that icon, but as I am used to have it all in the left tree view I just assumed it had disappeared from some upgrade failure. In the future I will look for icons in every corner of the screen before I give up.

But I don't think I agree that there is a parallell case with the DocumentTypes. As far as I get it the DocumentType icons will turn up only when you in the tree have selected a DocumentType. That is you are in a edit mode.

I totally agree though that specialized groups is probably a better approach than user specific permissions!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 23, 2018 @ 13:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jakob

Yes I agree it can indeed be confusing and you have no reason to feel stupid about this. Took me a while to notice the new placement of the icons too when I needed to edit some user permissions when the new user section was released.

I think HQ is hard at work on doing a re-launch of the .tv site or perhaps youtube will be the new place - A lot of nice videos on there already. So don't know for sure. But I can imagine they will still need to have some of the paid tutorials on .tv - But this is really just me guessing :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft