Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Aug 26, 2018 @ 21:28
    John Bergman

Umbraco 7.12.1 missing preview, save template buttons, and no new colors on backoffice? (SOLVED)

After the upgrade, we are missing the cancel button on all of the backoffice pages. Anyone else seen this?

enter image description here

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 27, 2018 @ 07:48
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi John

I guess you mean the preview button ? It seems to me only the text is missing. If you click the button does the preview work ? In that case it's a missing label.

On a fresh install it works correctly for me. So I think something went wrong during the upgrade concerning the translations files.

Can you compare the ones from the installer with the one in your installation ?

The files can be found here : \Umbraco\Config\Lang

Dave

Aug 28, 2018 @ 02:15
    John Bergman

Yes (sorry), the preview button.

In the lang.xl file, the key is present

<key alias="saveAndPublish">Save and publish</key>
        <key alias="saveAndSchedule">Save and schedule</key>
        <key alias="saveToPublish">Save and send for approval</key>
        <key alias="saveListView">Save list view</key>
        <key alias="showPage">Preview</key>
        <key alias="showPageDisabled">Preview is disabled because there's no template assigned</key>

Nothing happens when I click the purple button. I've compared the entire umbraco folder looking for differences, there is nothing that I cannot specifically account for. (due to umbraco forms, and the CMS Importer tool I purchased)

I don't mind troubleshooting, I am just not sure where to go from here...

Aug 28, 2018 @ 03:46
    John Bergman

I also am missing the text on the save button on the template page (settings area).

Looking in the language file (en-us) and (en), it appears to be present.

I also noticed that the color picker for the document icons doesn't show the new colors... nor does the button at the bottom of the slide out while adding a control to a page have text (the save button as well as the close "link")

I am also missing the Compositions and Reorder links on the document type editor pages as well.

I went through the tracelog, nothing there except warnings about prevaluedisplayresolver (could not find persisted pre-value for field xyz)

its almost like something is cached, but I have cleared all of the browser cache, deleted all the files in App_Data, and still no joy. I've also tried it in a browser that has never accessed the site with the same results.

Aug 28, 2018 @ 06:10
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi John,

I just installed these packages on my 7.12.1 install from yesterday without any issues. I also setup a 7.9.0 site and installed the packages and than ran an upgrade. Still no issues.

Do you see anything in the browser console when you click the preview button ?

Dave

Aug 28, 2018 @ 06:38
    John Bergman

No.

So I reverted (thankfully we make pretty heavy use of version control and a staging environment to test). Then I went ahead and reapplied and it seems to be fine now.

I am not really sure quite what happened the first time around; I looked through the tracelogs and the NuGet output from the original vs. the 2nd pass and didn't see anything that stood out. I hate mysteries like this; I suspect that something went wrong with the package install; I've had that happen before, but usually I see issues in the output of the installer.

Anyway, long story short - problem solved. Lesson to everyone: ALWAYS update in a non-production environment in case something goes wrong...

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 15, 2018 @ 15:38
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Guys

It looks like we trapped in the same problem. Everything ok with buttons locally - but on live the same issue. No texts on a few buttons.

John, did you solve it by upgrade again?

Thanks,

Alex

Aug 28, 2018 @ 06:49
    Dave Woestenborghs

hi John,

We had this as well once. What I did to check this was copy over the files from the zip installer for the bin, umbraco and umbraco_client folders and check if it worked.

dave

Aug 28, 2018 @ 07:01
    John Bergman

Yeah, I usually use BeyondCompare to manage the merges, particularly with the config/lang files.

I am beginning to think that NuGet is not the way to go and perhaps I'll alter my process as I continue on here to include a manual copy, checkin, and then a nuget install to pick up any of the additional changes that the installer would do... at least then I can be assured that I have the files right :-)

Aug 28, 2018 @ 07:02
    Dave Woestenborghs

Maybe I'm lucky..I only had one issue when files were not correctly updated by nuget. And i've done a ton of upgrades.

Dave

Aug 28, 2018 @ 07:06
    John Bergman

I seem to have issues frequently; I think it is partly because we are still using TFVC instead of GIT.

Typically my issues have revolved around binary files or references not getting updated correctly... this was something else.

Aug 28, 2018 @ 07:07
    John Bergman

We are a pretty big site with a LOT of custom code (www.upventur.com)… maybe the number of files and such increases the risk of something going wrong... not sure.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft