Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jakob Lithner 61 posts 264 karma points
    Sep 11, 2018 @ 13:25
    Jakob Lithner

Members.Login not working

I have experimented with member handling for a long time without getting it to work. I am really amazed how difficult this is in Umbraco!

Everyone needs basically the same member handling to: register, login, logout, change email/username, change password, reset forgotten password. To do that in Umbraco in my view takes too much effort. It should be possible to scaffold a basic setup that can then be adjusted!

The main problem though is that a lot of the functionality provided does NOT work! Can it be that a lot of this functionality has changed between versions and now is not consistent anymore? Should I use MemberService, MemberHelper, Members object, or maybe fallback to plain FormsAuthentication? Different examples tell my different things and so far I have not been able to setup a complete working flow.

1) To make MemberService.SavePassword to work you need to change a setting in web.config: allowManuallyChangingPassword="true". It took me a lot of Googling to find out and now the handling is less secure. I want to create a member with initial password without compromising security settings.

2) When I do a simple login with the method recommended (in the Umbraco.TV guides on membership that I tried to follow in detail) it just crashes with an obscure message. I run Members.Login and I can assure you that entered username and passwords are OK. This is my Exception:

System.FormatException: 'The input is not a valid Base-64 string as it contains a non-base 64 character, more than two padding characters, or an illegal character among the padding characters. '

Sep 11, 2018 @ 13:44
    Jakob Lithner

I thought it might not be the Members.Login that was wrong so I tried to set the password through the backoffice section.

When I changed the password there it is now possible to login!

Does this mean that MemberService.SavePassword does not work?

I add the complete method that I just copied from the Umbraco.TV:

public class MemberController : SurfaceController
    {
        public ActionResult Register(RegisterAcademyModel model)
        {
            if(!ModelState.IsValid)
            {
                return CurrentUmbracoPage();
            }

// Ensure member does not already exist
            var memberService = Services.MemberService;
            if(memberService.GetByEmail(model.Email) != null)
            {
                ModelState.AddModelError("", "A member with that email already exists.");
                return CurrentUmbracoPage();
            }

// Create member and login
            var member = memberService.CreateMember(model.Email, model.Email, model.Name, "academyMember");
            memberService.SavePassword(member, model.Password);
            memberService.Save(member);
            Members.Login(model.Email, model.Password);

return Redirect("/");
        }
    }

Sep 11, 2018 @ 13:54
    Jakob Lithner

Hurray, it works! There is nothing like rubber ducking :)

Expressing my problem makes it suddenly much more clear. The whole issue was about the order in which I put the commands. SavePassword should be set AFTER calling Save for member.

I still think this was a bit confusing and had appreciated some more help:

1) Parts of the Umbraco.TV gave the impression this was the order to do it.

2) Members.Login gave a very strange message that I think could have been more helpful like "Sorry, this member has no password set".

3) MemberService.SavePassword could have given a warning "Sorry, you can not save a password before the member is saved".

4) I still think some nice scaffolding would be helpful :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft