Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dora Vouth 6 posts 97 karma points
    Sep 14, 2018 @ 14:55
    Dora Vouth

Old content gets loaded on application pool restart

Hello,

I'm new to ubraco. I have noticed that each time I restart the application pool on IIS I see an older version of my content. If I republish the entire website in the editor the problem is fixed. My problem is that I have to do this every time I restart the app pool or reset the IIS. I also noticed that the umbraco.config date modified is old and not updated to the the date time I republished my site. Shouldn't the umbraco.config get updated when I republish the site? What am I missing here?

• Marc Goodson 2126 posts 14218 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Sep 15, 2018 @ 09:31
    Marc Goodson

Hi Dora

This feels like it might be an issue with Permissions to the /app_data/umbraco.config file

Umbraco stores published content in an XML file structure in memory, so when you publish or update an item it's this XML structure that is immediately updated in memory, and your frontend site code reads content from the structure from memory...

a moment later, this updated structure is then saved to disk, usually in the location (it can be configured elsewhere) /app_data/umbraco.config

... whenever there is an application pool recycle the storage in memory disappears, so to avoid hitting the database and rebuilding the XML structure again, which would be slow, Umbraco just loads the umbraco.config file from disk into memory, and it has it's up-to-date published content again.

So from your description, it seems as if the XML structure in memory IS being updated on publish, but the storage file on disk isn't!! so after an application pool recycle it keeps reverting back to the old snapshot of published content.

Usually this is file permissions, not allowing Umbraco to update the file on disk; have a look at the File and Folder permissions configuration settings:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/permissions

but usually you'll need to give the App Pool account your site is running under, modify permissions to the App_data folder.

regards

Marc

• Dora Vouth 6 posts 97 karma points
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 07:59
    Dora Vouth

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your answer! I thought of this but dismissed it because I saw that the cache folder was getting updated and it confused me. I do not understand something: Isn't the xml structure saved on disk with umbraco.config and cache folder getting updated?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft