Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Whitehouse 7 posts 77 karma points
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 11:10
    Andrew Whitehouse

Image changes not being reflected on live website

Hello. I'm new to Umbraco and am having problems with images across the site I'm managing.

If I go into an image and make changes to it in the Media section (for example changing the focal point on different crops/thumbnails used across my site) they are not shown on the live site.

Once I've made changes I hit "Save" on the bottom right.

I have even republished what I think are the relevant content pages (eg a news story, news home and main homepage of the site) but none of the changes come through to the live site.

Am I missing a step?

Cheers

Andrew

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 12:27
    Dan Diplo

Could it be a browser caching issue? Have you tried CTRL-F5 on the page you are viewing or opening it in an Incognito Window? (Sorry if you're tried this, just sometimes people overlook this!).

Sep 17, 2018 @ 12:29
    Andrew Whitehouse

Thanks Dan.

I've just tried that - and viewing the pages in other browsers/on mobile - and the image changes I made are still not being reflected on the live site.

Can you think of anything else please?

Cheers

Andrew

Sep 17, 2018 @ 14:47
    Dan Diplo

Hi Andrew,

Is this just happening with image crops? It might be helpful to give an example of a change you made and what you were expecting to happen after the change.

Have you an example of the code you are using to output an image?

Sep 17, 2018 @ 14:53
    Andrew Whitehouse

Thanks Dan. It's just with image crops, which are handled automatically.

Image crop issue

Sep 17, 2018 @ 14:55
    Andrew Whitehouse

I've changed the focus/moved the crop so that the lady in the hat is the central focus. But these changes aren't reflected on the live site.

Sep 17, 2018 @ 14:56
    Andrew Whitehouse

I'm not changing any code - I'm a Content Manager.... Cheers

Sep 17, 2018 @ 15:29
    Dan Diplo

This may be just down to a misunderstanding as to how the cropper works within the Media section.

The developers of the site will have set some crop points so that when you upload an image it will make variations for each crop point. So you upload one image and it will create multiple crops. But to display a particular crop the developer will need to have written code to pick that crop and display it.

So, really, you need to talk to the developers and put this to them as they'll understand how the code works to display crops.

Sep 17, 2018 @ 15:32
    Andrew Whitehouse

Thanks Dan. I've not had much joy with the company who originally made the site tbh but I will try again.

I'm brand new to Umbraco so thought/hoped it was a general quirk in the system that I need to get used to.

Thanks again

Andrew

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 16:44
    John Bergman

I've seen this occasionally - in my case deleting App_Data/Cache and let it recreate it solved my issue; be aware that there is a performance hit while it caches back up.

Sep 19, 2018 @ 09:25
    Andrew Whitehouse

John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

How do I do that please? I'm a Content Manager for the site so not sure if I would need Dev permissions/access...

Cheers

Andrew

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft