Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Sep 28, 2018 @ 21:21
    Asif Malik

Database upgrading with CI/CD

Hi Community,

I am trying to understand whether database upgrades run within a CI/CD setup.

On my local machine i upgrade my version of Umbraco via Nuget and when i browse to the site it asks me to login so the system can upgrade. Once completed the web config gets the new version of Umbraco inserted into it.

This then gets pushed into our CI (TeamCity) and then CD (OctopusDeploy). When it gets pushed to the next environment because the web config has already been updated i do not get the upgrade screens.

Does this mean the DB will not get updated ?

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Sep 28, 2018 @ 21:31
    David Peck

It should upgrade you still, but silently. You'll have the more advanced version number in the web.config and the latest files. It's only the DB that will be out of date. Because DB changes are generally done via migrations (https://cultiv.nl/blog/using-umbraco-migrations-to-deploy-changes/), any migrations should fire to complete the business when each new migration realises that it hasn't been run yet.

I can't be certain though. Sorry.

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Oct 01, 2018 @ 09:00
    Asif Malik

Thanks David for pointing me in the right direction, nice article :)

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Apr 28, 2020 @ 13:06
    Stefan Kip

Old topic, but still relevant; it seems there is no check for DB migrations if the version number in the web.config is up-to-date.
    I just checked this going from 8.5.5 to 8.6.1 and I no DB migrations were run on the staging environment.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft