Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Amri 214 posts 740 karma points
    Oct 22, 2018 @ 20:33
    David Amri

Upgrading Umbraco and Deploy to production server

Hi, I’m trying to ease my mind when it comes to upgrading umbraco. I’ve read lots of blogposts, tutorials and of course answers here on the forum about all the different solutions but I haven’t really found a way that suits our needs.

At the moment when we want to update Umbraco this is done by manually copying files and merging configs and what not. At least on the server. On the local solution its done with NuGet.

Now, upgrading the local solution with NuGet has so far been a delight. Upgrades on the server, not so much. So I would like to make the proccess of upgrading Umbraco on the server a bit less tedious.

I should also mention that all Umbraco data as doctypes and so forth are moved between enviorments with Courier. Updates on templates or CSS files are most of the time simply moved to the servers in VS with rightclick publish. Also the local solution is version controlled.

Could I 1. install the Umbraco update on the local enviorment with NuGet 2. Merge conflicts 3. Simply publish all ”touched”, or pendling changes with a rightclick publish to desired server from VS?

I also struggle a bit when it comes to understanding what files we should version control on our local solution. At the moment the umbraco, umbraco_client and bin folders (could be more but I dont have the solution in front of me) are not included in the project therefore not version controlled. Should they? Right now each developer installs the NuGet update on their local solution so the the Umbraco version is in sync between developers.

Best regards /David

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft