Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Yoni 49 posts 118 karma points
    Oct 24, 2018 @ 13:58
    Yoni

Ecommerce options for Umbraco

I have a working ecommece site that runs on Umbraco but its totally custom. ie. my own Database with the products and order information.

My problem is that my site needs an update and its about time that I use an ecommerce theme.

I am debating between using an Umbraco ecommerce option( such as Merchello or Ucommerce) or just updating my existing system with a new Responsive Ecommerce HTML (css/js) theme.

My site only contains 4 products. We have about 20 orders a day for a total of about $60,000 a month

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 24, 2018 @ 14:49
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Yoni

You have only 4 products so you basically need an e-commerce system for managing orders and payments. I think the next question to answer is how payments are working and do you need some payment control from the backend?

Thanks,

Alex

Oct 24, 2018 @ 14:55
    Yoni

I have an existing system that manages the orders.

I am looking for a better Shopping Experience for my users.

We do not process the payments online during checkout, rather we offer multiple payment options, but no Online Gateway system needed.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 24, 2018 @ 16:02
    Alex Skrypnyk

How uCommerce or Merchello can improve Shopping Experience for users?

• Mathieu Dionne 4 posts 77 karma points
    Feb 22, 2019 @ 15:57
    Mathieu Dionne

Hi Yoni,

I'm a bit late to the party, don't know if you've found a solution to your problem?

Anyway, I think it's worth mentioning for anybody else reading this that uSkinned just came up with a killer e-commerce theme for Umbraco, called Merch.

It's powered by Snipcart, so you get both powerful backend functionalities and a customizable HTML/JS shopping cart.

You should check it out, or read this blog post we wrote about it to know more.

Feb 24, 2019 @ 08:06
    Yoni

Mathieur:

I do not know if you are affiliated with either Uskinned or Snipcart.

I was aware that Uskinned was working on an eCommerce them.

But when they finally released it, I was extremely dissapointed that they are relying so extensively on SnipCart.

IMO, the main part of an eCommerce theme, is in fact the checkout, and they basically outsourced to a company that wants 2% of my sales (without even using them for any credit card processing) in addition to the 200 GBP yearly that uskinned wants for the theme.

Thankfully, we have sales around 2.4 millionUSD/year with our current system and i do not plan on giving Snipcart $50,000 a year.

Uskinned should have written an entire theme including a cart system and then I would happily pay them 200gbp a year.

I'd much rather take the $50,000 and get a beautiful custom working site (and no, it it will not cost me that much)

• Josip 195 posts 662 karma points c-trib
    Feb 25, 2019 @ 00:01
    Josip

Hello Yoni i think you pay only once for uskinned ecommerce skin and you can contact snipcart for special plan, corect me someone if i am wrong.

• Mathieu Dionne 4 posts 77 karma points
    Feb 25, 2019 @ 18:58
    Mathieu Dionne

Hi guys,

I do work for Snipcart, btw.

Josip is absolutely right here. The uSkinned fee is a one-time deal for buying the theme.

Then, we offer special plans for clients with high-volume sales. You would never pay 50K a year to use Snipcart, far from it.

The whole thing would probably be very affordable for a business like yours! ;)

Cheers!

Feb 26, 2019 @ 09:02
    Yoni

Mathieu:

First of all regarding Uskinned's own pricing, its 129gbp per theme, but that's only for 1 year of support & updates, the whole point of a theme, is its updates otherwise, most of the features become out of date (especially responsive design, considering the everchanging landscape of the mobile world) So, essentially its a yearly license.

As for snipcart, I contacted you, and received a response that its 2% and if we have higher sales, then we can consider a fixed plan, but neither your website, nor your customer service rep, Francis , seemed willing to give me the numbers, so I am forced to stick with the 2% number, and thats not something that I think is worth it.

And again, I go back to my original argument. Uskinned has only done 1/2 the job here in creating (and selling) an eCommerce theme

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Feb 24, 2019 @ 22:04
    Matthew Wise

Teacommerce is a great e-commerce platform and is well supported.

Feb 26, 2019 @ 09:07
    Yoni

$1,500 ?

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 09:10
    Matthew Wise

Depending on exchange rates.

Its a one of fee and the intergration process is well documented One off fee. https://docs.teacommerce.net/3.3.0/getting-started/installation/

Matt

(To be clear I do not work or benefit from this recommendation)

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 14:02
    Steve Morgan

You mention the turnover is $60,000 a month but worry about a small, one off, licence fee?

I'd always work on the basis what would it cost in terms of time (and therefore money) to build it myself.

But for four products and you already have your own backoffice order viewing system it seems like you could easily build your own checkout process with payment processing.

• Carl Sargunar 69 posts 91 karma points MVP 3x
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 10:15
    Carl Sargunar

And to add to these recommendations, if all you need is a basic eCommerce, and a decent back end on to which you can extend, think about Merchello

https://merchello.com/

It's open source and free

Also not affiliated in any way with Merchello or any of the others :)

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 23:44
    Craig100

If you've got a working ecommerce engine you built yourself, why break it? You can add in a payment gateway easy enough: https://stripe.com/docs/api?lang=dotnet and there are plenty of others. Sounds like you've done most of the hard work already anyway.

Good luck :)

• Terry Edwards 5 posts 45 karma points
    Jul 13, 2020 @ 19:18
    Terry Edwards

Hi - I'm a newbie to ecommerce coding. I use both uSkinned (excellent support) and Tea Commerce (also excellent support). I have upgraded both my packages to Umbraco 7.15.3. However, upgrading has broken both my ecommerce sites and I'm still trying to get them to work together nicely. The ever changing landscape of Umbraco and third party packages seem to be a minefield of issues that only trained developers can fix. I now have to look for a trained developer to help me out - so you might want to factor that in as well.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft