Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luis Saenz 2 posts 82 karma points
    Oct 25, 2018 @ 02:23
    Luis Saenz

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to edit some templates, I've been provided with an umbraco account, however, this has been left from whoever developed the website in the past and they are unreachable.

I understand I can modify the templates on settings according to Umbraco's guides I've found around, but I don't have the settings feature in my screen (image attached)

I would appreciate if any of you can give me a hand as I do need to modify the templates.

Thanks in advanceenter image description here

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 25, 2018 @ 06:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Luis and welcome to our :)

So are you another developer who's been hired to edit the website or are you with the company who has the website? Just asking to figure out the relationship since you will need to have admin access in order to access the settings section or at least have someone with admin access make sure your user profile has access to the settings and probably also developer sections (now assuming you're not from the company who owns the website).

If none have that access you will need to keep trying to get in touch with the previous developers in order to get the admin password unless you have the information about how to access the database - Then stuff can be done but it's not the recommended way to go unless you really know what you're doing!

If you have some kind of FTP access you should be able to get access to the templates, css and javascript. But depending on how the sites has been build and if there is a deployment process setup then this might not be enough.

It really depends on a lot of factors on how this site has been built. So if possible try to see if there is a chance of getting in touch with the previous developer to get hold of the Umbraco admin account and the hosting details and ask if there is a Github repository or similar with the code that you need to take over as well.

I hope this helps!

/Jan

• Luis Saenz 2 posts 82 karma points
    Oct 25, 2018 @ 22:06
    Luis Saenz

Hi Jan,

Thank you very much for your response,

I joined the company recently and upon investigating I found out that the website was built in 2014 by a web development company that does not longer exist.

I can see that I have admin rights (image attached), and I have accessed all the users listed in the image but all of them are the same.

I guess I will have to find out the FTP details of where the website is being hosted and change the html and css templates.

Snapshot

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 28, 2018 @ 11:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Luis

Well even though the user is of type "Administrator" the "Super" administrator has setup your account to not be able to access the sections that you need - So your type of administrator works more like a "Content" administrator if that somehow makes sense? It can be a bit hard to explain.

But yes I'm afraid that your best option is to figure out what the FTP access is and perhaps try to team up with a skilled Umbraco developer from your local area who might know how to reset the password of the default administrator (The one I referenced as "Super" administrator). Since it's not ideal that you don't know the credentials for this - It should be possible to reset but it requires some hardcore expert knowledge to do so.

All the best

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft