Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Nov 03, 2018 @ 15:03
    J

I am creating a website which will have a landing page called Manufacturers and users would be able to create multiple nodes below it. The structure would be something like:

• Laptops

• Multiple Laptop manufacturers
        • Multiple Laptop models
    • Fridgefreezers

• Multiple Fridgefreezers manufacturers
        • Multiple Fridgefreezers models
    • Bluray players

• Multiple Bluray players manufacturers
        • Multiple Bluray players models
    • Televisions

• Multiple Televisions manufacturers
        • Multiple Televisions models

So when the page is displayed it would first show all the items in bold. Once they click one of the bold links (remember this would be a page) they will see a list of manufacturers for that product type and selecting that would allow the to pick their model so i can take the appropriate action.

How could i achieve this? I am using Webforms and XSLT in Umbraco 7.5 but i could use Partial views if it doesnt break the current site. Appreciate any help you could give to get me on track.

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Nov 03, 2018 @ 18:50
    Søren Gregersen

Is there something holding you back from just creating the nodes?

Or..

Do you have a catalogue of the data somewhere?

Nov 03, 2018 @ 20:43
    J

The idea is the user creates the manufacturer etc on the fly. There is no data catalogue as they would create it at their own convenience and the design would replicate the node structure.

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Nov 03, 2018 @ 21:37
    Søren Gregersen

“On the fly”, should I read that as “just as normal pages”?

I don’t see anything special here, just doctypes that follow the structure you propose - Category, Manufacturer, Product

Nov 04, 2018 @ 07:12
    J

Maybe I missed the point of saying, when each node is created it will have an image associated with it.

So each manufacturer node would be displayed on the parent page along with its image, clicking on that manufacturer would then display all the product types on that page each with an image and then clicking on that image would display all the models with an image. Let me give it a shot as I thought this would involve in writing scripts.

Nov 09, 2018 @ 21:14
    J

I have my structure created as above. When i come to the Manufacturers page i am attempting to show all the bold items as above but i need to iterate through them, i think! How could i go about that?

Reading around seems like i may require XSLT but not seeing many examples on achieving the above. Thanks

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 09, 2018 @ 22:34
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi J,

Since these are all nodes in Umbraco (from what I can tell) you should be able to use either Razor or XSLT - and you could try starting with one of the built-in templates - e.g.: 'List Children from Current Page' (or something similar). If you run that on the Home page, it will create a list of links to all the bold items (I'm guessing they're all children of your Home page).

If you run that same partial/macro on e.g. the Laptops page, it will create a list of links to all the multiple laptop manufacturers etc.

To create a partial from a template, right-click the Macro Partials folder in the Settings tree and choose Create Partial from a Template.

To create an XSLT macro you need to right-click the XSLT node in the Developer tree and create a file there (it'll create the macro as well and link them together).

Razor is the preferred language these days (most people here will be able to help you with that), but if you're already very comfortable with XSLT go ahead and use that instead.

Hope that helps get you started,

/Chriztian

Nov 09, 2018 @ 22:55
    J

I think i've almost completed it - thanks very much, was so confused thinking this would take me weeks but i assume i would add the styling to the template created and since the doc type would have an image for the manufacturer etc i just add the image to the code that was generated for me?

Thanks again

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 09, 2018 @ 22:57
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Yes - that's the idea - as long as you can understand how the generated code sort of works, you can see where you can safely add/remove HTML to get the desired output.

/Chriztian

Nov 09, 2018 @ 23:10
    J

Thanks again, I used xslt but when you say use partials I think this would mean it would do the same thing but using MVC/razor? If so I would like to do it using razor/MVC but when the user gets to the single product it would have a contact form but will be built using C# web forms - would this be ok?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft