Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kieron 152 posts 390 karma points
    Nov 05, 2018 @ 11:44
    Kieron

Upgrading from 7.5.13, one release at a time, or many?

Hi, got a site on 7.5.13 and looking to upgrade it to get around some RTE image bugs, but not sure if i need to go one release at a time (approx 53 versions) or if i can skip a few?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:07
    Dan Diplo

In theory you should be able to upgrade just to the latest version as it will include all the associated updates from the other versions.

You might, though, want to try upgrading to 7.6.0 first and then to 7.12.3 as 7.60 has a lot of breaking changes.

See https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:08
    Kieron

Currently facing this from 7.5.14 > 7.6.0

Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json' or one of its dependencies. Manifest definition does not match the assembly reference

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:11
    Simon Dingley

Make sure all your projects in the solution are referencing the same version of Newtonsoft.Json (check your packages.config file) as well as the project references.

You may also have packages that depend on different versions of that assembly so look at adding relevant binding redirects in your web.config e.g.

<dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" culture="neutral"/>
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-10.0.0.0" newVersion="10.0.0.0"/>
      </dependentAssembly>

The above is just an example as I don't know the exact version you need.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:14
    Dan Diplo

Did you upgrade via NuGet or manually?

Check the web.config and look for the assembly bindings element and check it covers the DLL you have in the binding redirect. It should be something like:

<dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" culture="neutral" />
      <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-10.0.0.0" newVersion="10.0.0.0" />
    </dependentAssembly>

You can increase the new version to 11.0.0.0 to cover more versions.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:18
    Kieron

Hi, i am upgrading via zip file. Checking now with what you and Simon said. thanks

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:27
    Kieron

I upgrade manually, ive never used Nuget personally.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:20
    Kieron

Thank you both, setting the new/old version to 10 has resolved that one and i can see the install screen. I do need to get nuPickers back in as i removed the plugin earlier, so i will update this thread with any more issues, what jump would you guys recommend from 7.6.0.0?

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:25
    Simon Dingley

I personally tend to go to each last minor version so from 7.6.0 I would next go to 7.6.13. I would also use Nuget to update between each version and ensure that I diff and merge my config changes between each version.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:26
    Kieron

You lost me at Nuget, unfortunately. haha.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:27
    Kieron

You lost me at Nuget unfortunately, haha.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 13:35
    Dan Diplo

If you're manually upgrading then you'll need to merge changes into the web.config and all the other config files in /config/ folder (eg. umbracoSettings.config etc)

So get a good diff tool that can show you the differences between your web.config and the web.config in the zip file you downloaded. I'd recommend Beyond Compare - there's a free trial: https://www.scootersoftware.com/

See https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/general#merge-configuration-files

After 7.6 I'd personally just jump to 7.12.3 but it depends how confident you are. I've done it before and it's been OK, but that was via NuGet.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 14:29
    Kieron

So ive taken on the task of updating another, this time going from 6.2.6 to 7.0.0 but im currently getting this rather vague return:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Core.Sync.ConfigServerRegistrar..ctor() +15
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.InitializeResolvers() +641
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.InitializeResolvers() +18
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.Initialize() +267
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.Initialize() +18
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.StartApplication(Object sender, EventArgs e) +90
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +9

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +10061993
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +118
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +173
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +336
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +296

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +10043280
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +95
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254

Again i feel as if i have done all the changes here, but cant see why it wouldnt give me a better error.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 15:19
    Kieron

Ok ive managed to upgrade it now, but im getting login failed for my user, im guessing this is to do with the user system changing.

Nov 05, 2018 @ 15:32
    Kieron

Me again, ive logged in, but the database upgrade is failing:

Error during installation
    The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Invalid column name 'typeUniqueId'. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')

See the log for full details (logs can typically be found in the App_Data\Logs folder).

Nov 06, 2018 @ 11:12
    Simon Dingley

Does it say in the logs what table it's complaining about?

Nov 06, 2018 @ 11:21
    Kieron

Hi Simon, even after I go for a login & fail, there doesn't seem to be a new log file created in app_data, at least not one that has today's date/time.

Edit; I resolved this yesterday but have posted a new topic with a new issue, thought this was that one.

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Nov 06, 2018 @ 11:41
    MuirisOG

I'm about to start this very same process, and have been searching for info.

This link may help (I've become a big fan of Paul Seal).

https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-upgrade-umbraco-safely/

Nov 06, 2018 @ 14:28
    Simon Dingley

Great post - very similar to my own strategy. I merge/commit at each step and tag the version number so I can quickly see what changed between each upgrade step.

I've done a lot of upgrades in the last 18 months from much older sites (v4/v6) and actually gave up checking the entire site works 100% at each step, I just need to be able to get through the upgrade process and deal with any breaking issues at the final step.

Nov 06, 2018 @ 14:58
    Dan Diplo

You really don't need to do so many incremental upgrades as Paul mentions - once Migrations where added to Umbraco (around 7.4.3) then this becomes unnecessary. I'd certainly say any version above version 7.7 can be upgraded to very latest without worry - I've upgraded loads of sites from this to the latest without issue. Just upgraded a 7.8.x site to 7.12.3 a couple of days ago - perfectly smooth via Nuget.

Trickiest is pre-7.6 versions as this changes the user login hashes. But just diff the config files and read the release notes :)

Nov 06, 2018 @ 15:28
    Simon Dingley

You really don't need to do so many incremental upgrades as Paul mentions

Granted, the newer the versions the bigger the jumps you can make. I do it mainly through habit having been burnt on some v4 > v7 upgrades but it doesn't add a huge amount of overall time when using Nuget.

Trickiest is pre-7.6 versions as this changes the user login hashes.

The changes to the user's section, which I am yet to successfully upgrade past without manual intervention, were the only changes of late that have hindered the upgrade process for me.

It's actually not been the user hashes that have caused me headaches but related user tables that for some reason already existed before their time.

Nov 06, 2018 @ 15:32
    Dan Diplo

You're a brave man doing a 4 to 7 - I've never attempted that, so I'm sure it requires a lot more effort and increments! But, like you say, I was referring to the newer versions - just didn't want people to read this and assume that you always need to make incremental upgrades.

Nov 06, 2018 @ 15:35
    Simon Dingley

I've done quite a few now so I'm quite comfortable with it :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft