Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 22 posts 144 karma points
    Nov 08, 2018 @ 22:01
    Stephen

Property naming conventions

I'm fairly new to Umbraco, but after building and maintaining several websites on the platform I'm still struggling to figure out a best practice naming convention for properties and property aliases. I'm not sure if I'm being overly picky or if I'm architecting my document types poorly. The documentation and examples I've been able to find don't shed much light on the issue, as they typically involve only a small number of properties.

Consider the attached wireframe of a fairly typical page design:

enter image description here

To realise this in Umbraco I might block out a "Home" document type as follows:

• Banner: Heading, Summary, Link, Call to action, Image
    • Products: Heading, Summary, Image, Link, Call to action
    • About: Heading, Summary, Link, Call to action
    • News: Heading, Summary, Featured articles, Link, Call to action

This wouldn't work as the resulting property aliases would conflict with one another. To work around this, I might prefix each property name with the name of its tab, as follows:

• Banner: Banner heading, Banner summary, Banner link, Banner call to action, Banner image
    • Products: Products heading, Products summary, Products image, Products link, Products call to action
    • About: About heading, About summary, About link, About call to action
    • News: News heading, News summary, News featured articles, News link, News call to action

I might even go a step further and split the property name from its alias, so that content editors have a smaller field label to contend with, for example "Call to action" instead of "Products call to action", and rely on the tab itself to provide context.

• Is this a sensible way of doing things?
    • Is always prefixing property aliases to avoid possible conflicts worth it?
    • What architecture or naming techniques can be employed to handle situations like the above?
    • What resources exist for examining different methods of building larger Umbraco websites?
  • Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 15, 2018 @ 06:56
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Stephen.

I usually try to avoid having so many properties on the same doctype, mostly because of the issue you are mentioning, having to prefix the propertynames feels a bit dirty.

When I see your example site, i don't necessary see one page with a bunch of properties. I see one page with a bunch of blocks/segment. I would have build a "Banner"-block, a "Product"-block, "About"-block (or probably something more generic), "News Listing"-block etc. Then place them all in a Nested Content property and assign to the HomePage.

Then all your block can have a "Heading", "Summary", "Link" etc without the prefixes.

This way:

1. Blocks are not tied to a specific doctype but can be used all over the website. (If you allow them.)
    2. You avoid the property naming collisions.
    3. You give your editors the freedom of moving blocks around (re-order nested content items).
    4. You can render each block with its own partialview, (and if you want, its own controller). This gives you a lot more smaller views with just a few lines of code instead of one huge "HomePage.cshtml"-template with hundreds of lines of code.

One could argue that "But what if I just want to use the News Listing on the startpage?" I would still create is as its own block, because 1, you never know if you might need to use that block on another page in the future and 2, extracing functionallity to smaller bits it never a bad thing.

I know I didn't answer all your questions, I just thought I share my thoughts on this topic which I think is and interesting topic and I'm interested to see how other's feels.

Have a great day Stephen! Take care!

• Stephen 22 posts 144 karma points
    Nov 18, 2018 @ 19:39
    Stephen

Hi Dennis,

Great idea - I like how this pattern simplifies the individual document types and the flexibility provided to content editors.

Would you use this pattern for all pages on a site? Do you think it would get repetitive for commonly created pages like blog posts?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft