Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikkel.S 33 posts 167 karma points
    Nov 09, 2018 @ 07:40
    Mikkel.S

Hey guys!

I just recently started using Umbraco - And I wanted to use it in collaboration with Azure. So I thought, why not install it through Azure. Which I did. And It works. But... Is the installation on Azure a "Stock-only" installation, such as a WordPress site? Or is there a way to get to the back-end files?

(I have tried accessing the files through Diagnostic Console, which gives me a folder without any solution files, or Global.Ajax. I have also tried the App Service Editor, but I don't think editing files "live", is a good idea...) - So in short, I don't think having to create a new application with a solution file, Global Ajax etc. only then, to copy all the files from Azure into the folder, hoping it'll work the first time. I mean, shouldn't there be an easier way?

So my question in short. Is there an easier way to download your site, customize it and then push it back to Azure? Or is the "right" way to do it, by creating a site locally, with all your plugins etc. to then push it to Azure through publish?

Thanks in advance,

Mikkel.

• Ollie Storey 17 posts 171 karma points
    Dec 18, 2018 @ 13:20
    Ollie Storey

Hi Mikkel!

I have always built the site locally first and then published it through Azure. I can imagine that what you are trying to do is in some way possible... but it does sound like you're making things harder for yourself.

Is there a reason why you are doing it that way?

Ollie.

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Dec 18, 2018 @ 13:30
    Magnus Eriksson

I would definitely install & develop the site locally and then use web deploy/publish to get it to the web app on Azure.

You could also look into Umbraco Cloud where you get source control & build server and Azure web app as a package.

• Richard Hamilton 79 posts 169 karma points
    Dec 18, 2018 @ 14:53
    Richard Hamilton

I would definitely build the site in Visual Studio and add Umbraco through Nuget.

You can easily deploy to Azure from Visual studio when you are ready.

But if you need to access your files in Azure at any point, you can use Kudo: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2014/03/24/using-kudu-with-windows-azure-web-sites/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft