Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul McCarthy 39 posts 160 karma points
    Nov 15, 2018 @ 15:42
    Paul McCarthy

Local build running reeeeeeeally slowly

Hello We've recently upgraded our PCs to intel Core i7s and ever since, running a local build of our umbraco site has been incredibly slow, to the point where debugging is almost impossible. Has anyone else come across this? Is there any setting in IIS you changed to improve performance? Have tried running locally as 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost as per lots of suggestions online but still hasn't made any difference....

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 20, 2018 @ 13:44
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Paul

Umbraco projects are building really good, it's not slow at all, are you sure that your solution doesn't have any custom build events?

Alex

• Tor Langlo 189 posts 532 karma points
    Nov 21, 2018 @ 03:34
    Tor Langlo

Paul, which part of the process is slow? Building, starting up, running, or debugging?

Are you on a Web Application, or Web Site project (I'm talking about the Visual Studio variants here)?

In my experience building/compiling an Umbraco Web Site is very slow, I can't stand the dreaded "Validating web site..." build message over and over and over again. This of course happens when you build in VS, and also later when you start the web site after a change, when Asp.Net/IIS compiles the site on the fly.

-Tor

Mar 04, 2019 @ 16:34
    Paul McCarthy

Hi Tor, so sorry i didn't see you'd responded. I'd switched off notifications so I'm only noticing this now. Build is okay

Start up is very slow

Running is very slow - eg if you make a change to a template and refresh the browser to see the change implemented it takes almost as long as building from scratch

Debugging is also very slow, to the point that certain processes time out.

The odd thing is that this has improved on all but one of our PCs even though they have identical configurations and we didn't do anything to the other PCs to improve the process.

Very odd.

• Darren Eccles 59 posts 298 karma points
    Nov 21, 2018 @ 09:36
    Darren Eccles

Hi Paul,

Have you tried upgrading to the latest version of Visual Studio, I'm assuming you are using this as your IDE?

Also, are you using source control? I've used TFS and Git, and I find TFS to be extremely slow with Visual Studio.

It might be worth creating a new instance of umbraco using a startup template and run that locally. If this is slow, its probably something with your system setup.

Darren

Mar 04, 2019 @ 16:35
    Paul McCarthy

Hi Darren

Thanks for your response and sorry I'm only seeing it now. We use git for source control. Good suggestion on the clean installation. Might try to give that a go...

• Nicklas 5 posts 75 karma points
    Apr 29, 2021 @ 06:35
    Nicklas

Did you find a solution for this?

• I'm having same issue, runs really slow on localhost on some pc others it runs fine.
    Apr 29, 2021 @ 11:03
    Paul McCarthy

I never got a definitive proof of what the issue was unfortunately, so we just did the usual things - updating Visual Studio, clearing out all TEMP files, making sure we weren't over-logging. The only additional thing I can think of was checking if any of the assemblies we were using were stored in the Global Assembly Cache, deleting them from there which forces the solution to use the assembly in the local folder

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft